Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk XVIe

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
These Tamiya's are real beauties.  They are complex but not complicated, they have a high price tag but are not expensive for what you get.  They are brilliantly engineered but, in some ways over engineered.  Their fit is simply outstanding but possiblly in a way too good with the very tight tolerances involved.  The designers were ambitious in their vision, but possibly over ambitious.

All in all if you like building aircraft, these Tamiya WW2 1/32 'superkits' are 'must builds' and you will never regret buying one.   Tammy brought out three versions of the Spitfire, the Mk IX, Mk VIII and this, the Mk XVI.  These were the second of their 1/32 superkit range and were preceded by two versions of the Zero, two versions of the P51D Mustang followed (one with a K option), two versions of the Corsair carrier fighter and the last one, a Mosquito.   Further Tammy releases in this range are always a subject of discussion and are always eagerly awaited.

So what are the negatives with the Spitfire...

The rubber tyres, nuff said - aftermarket resin is available.

The cockpit door, could be better, I used the kit door but aftermarket resin is available.

The overengineering I referred to is in respect of the toy like aspects.  We build staic models, not toys to play with swapping an in-flight aspect to a wheels down model.  This model was designed to have a sliding canopy, to have wheels that can be swapped between two sets one for in-flight and one for sitting on the ground, there is a superb Merlin and Tamiya provide engine panels with magnets so you can remove them to display the engine.  It really is all very clever, but too clever.  If you do somehow manage to glue the canopy to the very small sliding mechanism without gluing it to the fuselage as well then it is so delicate it will break the first time you try sliding it.  No ifs and buts, it will break off.  My advice just glue it into place closed or open, it is a perfect fit.  Then there is the landing gear, a clever arrangement where it fits into a hole and you screw in a piece that sets the right angle, then fit a cover held by a magnet over it.  Well once you get the gear fitted you will simply not want to remove it again.  Just add a drop of extra thin cement and leave it, I did.  Removing and fitting the weheels up set would carry significant risk of damage every time and, besides it is soooo fiddly.   The engine panels, yes they work BUT - the tolerances are so tight it takes only the tiniest misalignment somewhere and it will have a knock on effect preventing the panels from fitting as perfectly as they can.  The problem is you cannot find out if there is a misalignment until the engine block is glued in place.  Dry fitting is fine but get a spot of dust trapped in there when gluing or a bit of surplus glue, varnish or residual paint - maybe just scraping off paint you scraped away a little bit too much - yes I am not exaggerating about the tolerance, and there is a problem getting the panels to fit.   Decide whether you want to display then engine, all of it or part of it ahead and stick to that is my advice.  Any slight misalignment can be dealt with in the usual way, filler, sanding, cutting etc.

Whatever - do not let the negatives put you off. The positive are much greater, its a brilliant kit and do not hesitate to buy one.  I am looking forward to my other Tamiya 1/32 Spitty builds.

It is also worth saying that Tamiya learned from feedback and their later Corsair and Mosqito releases lack the gimmicks.

Now - this aircraft..

The Mk XVI was a derivative of the Mk IX with a Packard built Merlin, built to metric standards.  They all had the e wing and were clipped for optimum low level performance.  Most also had the cut down rear fuselage as per my example with the bubble hood.  The aircraft I built is depicted in 1945 when based in Germany.

The pictures.

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kressy_13

Great explanations on a great build. Hats off to you, the spitfire has turned out looking superb. She is certainly all dressed up now. The chipping on the prop looks spot on and not overdone, very hard to do. Excellent build mate.

B

Builder

Superb work Barry. Another great build thread followed by a great completion as well. Love the camo and the paint job on the canopy. Standard setter mate.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Top job! I've been following the build and expected it to turn out as well as it has. I don't know exactly what it is, but Tamiya have captured the lines of the Spitfire better than anyone else, and when you see one of the kits built as well as this it displays them beautifully.

I am sorely tempted to have a go at another one of these kits myself :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks everyone.

There are a couple of mistakes but with the next two Spittys I will correct them to get a better result with each one...

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Gwyn
Well done Barry an excellent looking model .  I still think the clipped wings look strange.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Packard built Merlin, built to metric standards

Very nice Barry, she certainly looks the part. But please educate me, were Roll Royce building engines using metric measurements at this time ? I just assumed it would all be imperial.

Colin m..

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Apparently the Rolls Merlins were good old British Imperial which is why, when I was reading up about the mkXVI, I was surprised at the use of metric.

T

T. van Vuuren

Fantastic buid, well done.

I like the weathering on it.

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Packard used measurement, threads etc to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard. To maintain compatibility and meet Rolls Royce requirements, the company manufactured all nuts, bolts, studs etc to Whitworth standard in the US.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A thing of beauty that has been expertly portrayed. Great work Barry. I do enjoy your in depth build threads.

l will look forward to the next as well.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Packard used measurement, threads etc to the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard. To maintain compatibility and meet Rolls Royce requirements, the company manufactured all nuts, bolts, studs etc to Whitworth standard in the US.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. I really couldn't see the Americans metricating  (I might have made a word up there) an engine just for us. Considering we weren't even metricated (there I go again) ourselves.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great result Barrt. The Spit looks magnificent.

Cheers

P

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Top notch work there Barry I enjoyed the build thread, and I really like the finished Spitfire. Looking forward to your next build. 

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Great work and it is always a pleasure to follow the progress on your builds.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb work as always from you Barry. Nailed the look of this No.485 Squadron Spitfire at that stage of the war, very impressive.

D

dubster72

That's an excellent Spitfire Barry, your skills really bring out its powerful shape. Like the Mustang,  a Spitfire always looks as though it's straining at the leash wanting to be airborne! 

B

BigZimmo

Great build, Barry.......I can really hear the Merlin roaring....!!!

:smiling3: