Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk8

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It looks great Theuns. I've always liked the tropical scheme, so it's going to be a winner.

T

T. van Vuuren

Tamiya makes exelent kits but damn they can not make nice decals
icon_sad.gif

For the price this kit sells for I would reallt have expected better quality decals.

Most of the decals were hard and brittle, qiute a few broke and I had to piece them togehter as best I could.

I really hope they dont silver under the mattcoat, I will dose it with loads of microsol.....stay tuned.

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Thin cement on the stemcles and walkways might have sorted out the carrierfilm, I hope the application of microsol will sort out the rest of the large decals.

TheunsDSC00686.jpg DSC00690.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work so far Theuns. Often hear bad things about Tamiya decals. Hopefully you can recover the ones that are causing you trouble.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Joe. I filled in the cracks in the decals with paint, will have to see what it looks like under the clearcoat.
I am busy with the final bits and pieces, I hope to have it all done by early next week.

Theuns

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Tamiya makes exelent kits but damn they can not make nice decals
icon_sad.gif

For the price this kit sells for I would reallt have expected better quality decals.

Most of the decals were hard and brittle, qiute a few broke and I had to piece them togehter as best I could.

I really hope they dont silver under the mattcoat, I will dose it with loads of microsol.....stay tuned.

Theuns
This is why I always buy aftermarket decals for Tammy kits. There are some great schemes out there for the Mk VIII and IX Spits as well as the others.

T

T. van Vuuren

The engine was a real PITA to get to fit, but with enough glue and force I got it close enough for the cowls to fit. I had exactly the same problem with my P-51.

The undercart is also on, I am now fitting small items hoping to get the clearcoat on this weekend.

Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I remember the fun I had fitting the engine in my Mk9. But to be fair to Tamiya, it's a real tight fit in there.