Tamiya 1:32 Vought F4u-1A Corsair

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I wasn't going to do a build thread for this one (and I'm still not going to manage a proper one now) due to the imminent fitting of a new bathroom. However, the bathroom is on hold, so on with the build.
It's a well known kit, so box and sprue shots are all over the web. We all know the level of detail is brilliant in these kits.
So, I do have a couple of pictures of the build so far.

pit 1.JPG

pit 2.JPG

pit 3.JPG

Rear fuselage.JPG

side 1.JPG

side 2.JPG

Engine 2.JPG

All out of the box. Well at this price I'm not going to spend any more on this build. Oh, except paint, I need some blue paint. Blue, what a change !
The instructions are in the form of a book. The cockpit itself took ages to build. Yes, this will keep me going for a while.

First Name
Dave
Very nice Colin. These Tamiya 1/32's are fantastic kits. So far I've only built the Mosquito though.I quite fancy one of these.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
These Tamiya 1/32's are fantastic kits
They are. The parts count is amazing. I seem to spend ages sticking bit together before the sub assembly (of whatever) is made.

A bit more has been started. This is the cockpit floor, with the port side air intake.
Intake 1.JPG

And another view.
Intake 2.JPG
Nicely detailed with a bit of kit PE, but what is it for ? The engine is air cooled.

Well 1.JPG
A rather substantial spar along with the wheel wells taking shape. Many of these parts fit at strange angles and interlock with other parts. Somehow, I think only Tamiya are brave enough to engineer kits like this. But of course, everything fits perfectly.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

They are. The parts count is amazing. I seem to spend ages sticking bit together before the sub assembly (of whatever) is made.

A bit more has been started. This is the cockpit floor, with the port side air intake.
View attachment 293898

And another view.
View attachment 293899
Nicely detailed with a bit of kit PE, but what is it for ? The engine is air cooled.

View attachment 293900
A rather substantial spar along with the wheel wells taking shape. Many of these parts fit at strange angles and interlock with other parts. Somehow, I think only Tamiya are brave enough to engineer kits like this. But of course, everything fits perfectly.
Trust me, Zoukei Mura does even more crazy engineering which somehow all fits together perfectly.
Btw, nice work

J

John Rixon

I wasn't going to do a build thread for this one (and I'm still not going to manage a proper one now) due to the imminent fitting of a new bathroom. However, the bathroom is on hold, so on with the build.
It's a well known kit, so box and sprue shots are all over the web. We all know the level of detail is brilliant in these kits.
So, I do have a couple of pictures of the build so far.

View attachment 293875

View attachment 293876

View attachment 293877

View attachment 293878

View attachment 293879

View attachment 293880

View attachment 293881

All out of the box. Well at this price I'm not going to spend any more on this build. Oh, except paint, I need some blue paint. Blue, what a change !
The instructions are in the form of a book. The cockpit itself took ages to build. Yes, this will keep me going for a while.
Beautiful work Colin!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry

View attachment 293898

And another view.
View attachment 293899

View attachment 293900
That substantial spar is important, if it breaks then you will get some real problems. Don’t do what I did and did and drop the model breaking it...... Therin is my tale of woe!!!!!!!

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cracking stuff, the gun - is that a flare pistol, or an 'actual' fighting pistol - i.e to shoot people with

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Your desk is too tidy
Tidy - what a slur on my character, I give you THIS. Actually, that's not looking too bad.
For Ian.JPG

A little test fit of the fuselage, doesn't look much like a Corsair.
Fuse1.JPG

Under carriage nearly assembled.
UC 1.JPG

And then a bit of paint / weathering. You can probably guess, this is going to be a well worn machine.
UC 2.JPG

And then some larger bits, ready for the big push. The cockpit isn't actually glued in. There's about 7 different connections between the fuselage halves, so I left the 'pit floating to make things easier.
Bits.JPG

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Brilliant work Colin..... You are a really 'tidy' builder with not a sign of overspray!!