Tamiya 1:32 Vought F4u-1A Corsair

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thats good to know as I herd that the decals tended to split and are very fragile.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thats good to know as I herd that the decals tended to split and are very fragile.

Here's a close up of the huge decal on the side of the fuselage. I was wrong, not all rivet detail underneath has been lost. Maybe Tamiya are doing something different with their decals these days.
IMG_2060.JPG

Earlier in the build I tried the hairspray thing, which worked quite well, until a problem with the top coat meant I lost some of it, but not all, it's still there (I hope) just under some maskol. So now, something new again for me, salt. We've all seen this trick before, but I've never had a go, so here we go.
IMG_2050.JPG

Now, a light dusting of a very light brown paint. I'll see the result tonight after I've washed all the salt off.

First Name
Alex
That does look good. I have the Tamiya 1:72 version and the detail in your kit is immense. Seems a shame that most of it gets covered up with the.fuselage. i think if i do a 1:32 kit i might try a cross section build

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking forward to seeing the salt effect Colin. Nice work so far

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
a shame that most of it gets covered up with the.fuselage.
Very true Alex, but this cockpit is quite open so a fair bit will be on view. The engine however, is probably gone for ever. The centre two largest cowlings are removable, but after a few layers of paint and varnish, I don't think they will be coming off again.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's finished. Pictures in the completed section.