Tamiya 1:32 Vought F4u-1A Corsair

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Cracking stuff, the gun - is that a flare pistol, or an 'actual' fighting pistol - i.e to shoot people with

Looks like a Very flare piston to me on a fixed downward facing launch tube. Flare pistols like this were (and might still be in use today) on certain RAF aircraft, they were definitely on Pumas and Seakings as I recall checking them as part of an AF/BF.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Tidy - what a slur on my character, I give you THIS. Actually, that's not looking too bad.
View attachment 294007

A little test fit of the fuselage, doesn't look much like a Corsair.
View attachment 294008

Under carriage nearly assembled.
View attachment 294009

And then a bit of paint / weathering. You can probably guess, this is going to be a well worn machine.
View attachment 294010

And then some larger bits, ready for the big push. The cockpit isn't actually glued in. There's about 7 different connections between the fuselage halves, so I left the 'pit floating to make things easier.
View attachment 294011

Those landing gear shock struts are looking well compressed, must be a heavy kite and jockey on board!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is looking really nice Colin. Flawless.
I don't have too many American WW2 aircraft (just the usual suspects: P-51, P-47, Wildcat and an Avenger) but I've always thought that make very good builds. The cockpit colour is bright, the landing gear tends to be nicely complex and the schemes are quite interesting whether it's a natural metal finish or (in this case) the US Navy blue which can have some nice subtle weathering applied. Seeing this is making me want one!

Looking forward to the progress Colin it's a cracking build so far.
Cheers
P

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is looking really nice Colin. Flawless.
I don't have too many American WW2 aircraft (just the usual suspects: P-51, P-47, Wildcat and an Avenger) but I've always thought that make very good builds. The cockpit colour is bright, the landing gear tends to be nicely complex and the schemes are quite interesting whether it's a natural metal finish or (in this case) the US Navy blue which can have some nice subtle weathering applied. Seeing this is making me want one!

Looking forward to the progress Colin it's a cracking build so far.
Cheers
P
These are superb builds, utterly flawless kits, well the plastic anyway, I would recommend afternarket decals or, better still masks. I thoroughly recommend this kit and if you only build one 1/32 kit in your life this must be the one (well,.... maybe the Tammy Mossie instead!!!)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The cockpit colour is bright
I mixed this shade following Tamiya's instructions with their own paint, and I really like it. As you say, it's bright. But of course, H78 cockpit green is, and always will be my favourite cockpit colour.
subtle weathering
Subtle isn't the plan for this one, when I get to the end of the build, better look away !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nicely detailed with a bit of kit PE, but what is it for ? The engine is air cooled.
Theyre Oil coolers Colin , and the slats inboard of them are the intercooler intakes for the supercharger. Great work on this one so far , it looks amazing as do all the other Tamiya 1/32 weve seen. When they come down to £20 i might get one !! :smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smirk::smirk:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Theyre Oil coolers Colin , and the slats inboard of them are the intercooler intakes for the supercharger. Great work on this one so far , it looks amazing as do all the other Tamiya 1/32 weve seen. When they come down to £20 i might get one !! :smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smiling5::smirk::smirk:
Cheers Tony. You wouldn't believe I just read that fact this morning ! £20.00 might get you the box and instructions - not much else. I had to wait for a very special birthday before I got this one.....

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A bit of an update. It looked like rain today, so I thought, get some work done on the build. Then the sun came out, great get some work done in the garden. But anyway, ma'am is doing 'fizz Friday' with her friend, leaving me alone to tinker.
It's all built.
Looks like a Corsair.JPG

Also, the final touches to the main landing gear. This aircraft spent most of its life on land. It did fly from a carrier once or twice, but generally it spent most of its life covered in dust, hence the colour of my 'white' landing gear.
LG 1.JPG
LG 2.JPG

The model is actually primed and just drying before I slap a bit of white on the underside. Priming showed no problems.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Big shop done, back to the bench. I very nearly tried this 'black basing' method others have tried, but just didn't quite get there - actually, I reckon this little exercise took longer !
Preshading.JPG

I didn't pre-shade under the white, I have future plans for the white area. The underside is painted, but there's a lot more to do here. This is going to be a tired old bird.

Underside 1.JPG

That's it for today. My poor old compressor needs a rest. Big models these 1:32 things are.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hairspray chipping, this isn't something I've tried before but today, that all changed. I started wit a bare metal finish.
BMF.JPG

Then some of the daughters best Treseme (spelling might not be correct) before adding some chromate yellow.
Then, just by applying a tiny amount of water to the area to be chipped, I managed the following.
Hairspray 1.JPG

Hairspray 2.JPG

I'm a convert, I like this hairspray thing. Of course things might be different after top coat is applied.

Attachments

• Hairspray 2.JPG
    Hairspray 2.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Hairspray 2.JPG
    Hairspray 2.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking mighty fine colin, looking forward to the top colour going on , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, what colour is this then ? It's the Vallejo equivalent, but refuses to go darker no matter how much paint I apply. Did someone put the wrong paint in the bottle, or the wrong label on the bottle ? Anyway, it leaves me feeling more than a little disappointed - I really am growing tired of Vallejo.
IMG_2043.JPG

However, after many minutes and seconds, of me acting like a bit of an Alchemist, I created a colour that was acceptable (bearing in mind it's going to be heavily weathered)
It's not a great picture, but the colour is close enough. More like a Navy blue it should be. And as you can see, ready for decals. I was tempted to try masks, but this kit cost enough, I'll try and make the decals work.
IMG_2046.JPG