Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 1 mk3

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Guys,

This is my first post so please be gentle. :smiling3:

I was stuck indoors with the kids over the New Year break whilst Mrs B was out working. It was too cold to go outside to the workshop (I'm a hobbyist knifemaker) so decided to load the kids in the car and head off into the fog to my local Hobbycraft and see if I could find something indoory to do. Nothing particularly took my fancy until I arrived in the model kit section.

Now bear in mind I haven't built a model kit since I was a kid (I'm now 43), but after a bit of browsing and some badgering from my son, I went ahead and picked the Tamiya Challenger 1 kit along with a load of Tamiya paints, thinners, brushes etc. £90 odd later we headed home.

Over the course of 3 days ,interspersed with helping the kids with making various Christmas present stuff (crystal growing, 3D puzzles, science experiments) I built the kit up. My original plan (having watched a couple of YouTube vids) was to keep the upper and lower hulls seperate until painted. However, as I went with the Desert version (you can also build a NATO version which is slightly different) I had to fit the front armour, which meant attaching the hulls first. I guess I could have fitted the front armour later, but wasn't sure if I would be able to glue painted surfaces together (I'm using a poly cement).

Of course this meant if I also went ahead and fitted the side armour I wouldn't be able to access the wheels and tracks. The plan was therefore to leave the side armour off for now, paint and weather the underside/bit where the wheels go, add the wheels & tracks then attach the side armour, mask off the bottom and paint the rest.

I realise at this point that I have no photo's to add, but if anyone is interested I will snap some later and add them.

I have really enjoyed the work I have done so far and will definitely try another kit when this one is done. :smiling3:

Cheers,

Bob

P

Polux

Welcome to the forum Bob.
Well...after your story, I'm really interested to see some images, and maybe you don't know but, on this forum, we love photos :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thank you Polux, I will definitely take some and post them, although I doubt the standard of my work will be up to much. Maybe after a bit of practice. ;)

First Name
colin
Thank you Polux, I will definitely take some and post them, although I doubt the standard of my work will be up to much. Maybe after a bit of practice. ;)
Hi Bob welcome to the forum mate don't worry about the standard of your work post your pics.
The guys on here will help you hone your skills
Its not about knocking your builds .

D

dubster72

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics Bob & don't worry about standards etc - we all said that the 1st time! ;)

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. I'm off out shooting tonight but will post some pics when I get back from the club.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
OK, I'm being a bit thick trying to create an album. I can't actually find a "create album" button on teh media page? Help!

First Name
Alex
Welcome, yeah I had that problem too with uploading photos, what you need to do is open an image hosting account like with photobucket (it's free) then upload your photos to there.
When you post your photos to this forum, what you are actually doing is inserting a link, you can do this by selecting the 'image' button in the tool bar at the top of the create new thread box.
It will ask you to put in the 'image URL' and you get this from your photobucket account.
To get the correct link you need to go into your 'photobucket library' hover the mouse over the image you want to use and three lines will appear in the top left of the photo, move the cursor over those lines and a menu will appear, click on 'Share' and a new window will open with about 4 or 5 different share options. You must click on the 'Direct' option, once you click on that usually the link will be automatically copied and you can then just paste it into the 'image URL' box on the new thread on this forum. You wont be able to just copy and paste the link as text in the message if you want the image to appear on its own, you have to use the 'image' button. I hope that makes sense!

First Name
colin
OK, I'm being a bit thick trying to create an album. I can't actually find a "create album" button on teh media page? Help!
Use upload file find image on computer press close repeat for more images.
At least that's how I do it which means it probably wrong

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
IMG_3219.JPG IMG_3221.JPG IMG_3219.JPG IMG_3221.JPG IMG_3221.JPG IMG_3223.JPG IMG_3224.JPG IMG_3225.JPG IMG_3227.JPG IMG_3230.JPG IMG_3233.JPG IMG_3228.JPG IMG_3229.JPG

Thanks guys, hopefully this works.

So this is how far I have got with the kit build. I've painted the underside, under the wheel arches (if thats what they are called on tanks) and the insides of the side armour (plus a little of the front and rear because I had some paint left over) and the road wheels.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi Bob welcome to the forum :D
nice work so far,looking good,;)

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Polux, just need to figure out the best way to weather them. I'm thinking just a light touch of pin wash and some mud & sand.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not had much time to work on this recently, but managed to get some bits done on the wheels and tracks, a bit of pin wash on the wheels and some sandy weathering on the tracks. it's the first time I've ever done either and I'm fairly happy with how it came out. I intend adding some more weathering and pigment after everything's fitted to the hull.

Attachments

• IMG_3234.JPG
    IMG_3234.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG