Tamiya 1/35 Willys Jeep

\ said:
Very good idea! You can also make these filters easily with ordinary oil paints, or better still, enamels (better, because they dry quicker) and with odourless thinners, it's not so smelly as you'd think! Basically, what you're looking to achieve is one step up from dirty thinners - ie a lot of thinner and a small streak of paint. It will separate if you don't stir it regularly, but being so thin, the effect is really subtle, but as you add coats, you will see the difference. For a green vehicle, I'd use a burnt umber (brown!) and if it starts getting too rich, then a thin ochre will bring back the green. This is the part of modelling I love the best, I take ages on it and it is most absorbing!
Should I do this before or after applying decals?

I would like to say a fond farewell to my little jeeps wing mirror. It pinged off my model to be consumed by the ever hungry carpet monster. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement? :sad:

20151202_201914.jpg

So this is where I am with the jeep. Need to buy some matt varnish and then muddy her up a little. My figure painting needs some work and I need to master the art of applying decals. Practice hopefully will make perfect.

D

demon

Try Vallejo Matt acrylic varnish I use it on aircraft and armour and in my opinion it's the best whatever make you use make sure it's thoroughly mixed

PS looking good mate

Roger

First Name
Dave
Looking very good mate, decals can be tricky, try some of the micro products ie microsol and microset, they do wonders for your decals, although saying that, you've done a fine job. A bit of shading in the creasing of the guys jacket and trousers wouldn't go amiss. A touch of deep red on the reflectors on the side rear is needed too.

And don't forget the steering wheel stowed behind the passenger seat, needs to be in front of the driver lol!

Glad to see you've found the mirror!

Great job done on a lovely model. Top notch :smiling3:

\ said:
Try Vallejo Matt acrylic varnish I use it on aircraft and armour and in my opinion it's the best whatever make you use make sure it's thoroughly mixed
PS looking good mate

Roger
Thanks Roger. Not sure which company to go for yet. Money may dictate my choice.

\ said:
Looking very good mate, decals can be tricky, try some of the micro products ie microsol and microset, they do wonders for your decals, although saying that, you've done a fine job. A bit of shading in the creasing of the guys jacket and trousers wouldn't go amiss. A touch of deep red on the reflectors on the side rear is needed too.
And don't forget the steering wheel stowed behind the passenger seat, needs to be in front of the driver lol!

Glad to see you've found the mirror!

Great job done on a lovely model. Top notch :smiling3:
I had to make a new mirror as kit one completely lost. Totally forgot about the side reflectors. Steering wheel will be fixed when I am happy with my figure. Thanks for your kind words.

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks Roger. Not sure which company to go for yet. Money may dictate my choice.
Vallejo paints are about 2 quid for a 17ml, you get more for your money than humbrol, just make sure you shake the nuts out of it, the pigment sits in the bottom! :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
\ said:
I had to make a new mirror as kit one completely lost. Totally forgot about the side reflectors. Steering wheel will be fixed when I am happy with my figure. Thanks for your kind words.
Well you've done a fine job mate. Looking forward to seeing it all done.

I don't mean to come over as patronising, I apologise if I have done so, it's just that I'm a bit of a Jeep officianado as I used to own 1:1 scale '43 Willys, I've got a Dragon 1/6 one to strip and restore, it's a bit of a mess at the moment but fingers crossed it'll be OK! :confused: :smiling3:

\ said:
Well you've done a fine job mate. Looking forward to seeing it all done.
I don't mean to come over as patronising, I apologise if I have done so, it's just that I'm a bit of a Jeep officianado as I used to own 1:1 scale '43 Willys, I've got a Dragon 1/6 one to strip and restore, it's a bit of a mess at the moment but fingers crossed it'll be OK! :confused: :smiling3:
You didn't sound patronising at all mate. Might order the vallejo. Good luck with your projects mate.

I lost my steering wheel. I really am having a nightmare with this jeep. Does anybody know how or where I can get a replacement?

20160116_183117.jpg

Put the jeep on a makeshift base. Just missing steering wheel, driver and gun. Going to call this finished, at least for now.

Went back to my little Jeep and did a little work as a break from my panzer. Had to hide the fact I broke a second steering wheel so added a map to cover it. Also added a bit of stowage. This was a fun little build and learned a lot. Will definitely be building a second one soon. Also I am no figure painter so will practice and come back to make this guy look good. Hope you all like.20160306_172921.jpg

20160306_172857.jpg

20160306_173000.jpg