Tamiya 1/48 Crusader Mk III AA

• Thread starter It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong
  • Start date
I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Yet another incentive to drag something out of the back of the stash. I'm in with "The Princess" which crops up in a few Normandy photos. I doubt this will turn into any sort of a dio, although it does come with half a dozen figures to put in and on it. This also means that no, I will not be scratch building a column of Stuarts to go with it. I will be building it out of the box and so will be depicting it after the wading gear has been removed (so that I don't have to scratch that either).

Andy M.

View attachment 23674View attachment 23675

View attachment 30284

View attachment 30285

PICT0473.jpg

PICT0474.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This looks like a nice kit Andy. Good luck with the build.

One thing worries me though...with all your talk of scratching, be careful it doesn't turn into a rash, might take some explaining away!!! lol

Cheers,

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Interesting kit Andy I'm sure you'll make a cracking looking model out of it.

Cheers

P

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Kit is falling together in typical Tamiya fashion. Running gear completed and ready to be removed for painting. Upper hull complete apart from a few odds and ends that will be painted separately.

View attachment 23880View attachment 23881

And so on to the turret. I know I said I was going to build this out of the box, but I couldn't resist these:

View attachment 23882

If only they had included some instructions :emo6: ...

Andy M.

View attachment 30465

View attachment 30466

View attachment 30467

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0274.JPG

DSC_0272.JPG

B

Bunkerbarge

Andy rather than go the whole hog and build a diorama I always think it is worth just making some sort of very simple base. This may be nothing more than a pine picture frame with some earth on it but it sets the model off withough all the work involved in a diorama. I think if you have a good set of figures it would be worth showing it off in a realistic setting.

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

\ said:
Andy rather than go the whole hog and build a diorama I always think it is worth just making some sort of very simple base. This may be nothing more than a pine picture frame with some earth on it but it sets the model off withough all the work involved in a diorama. I think if you have a good set of figures it would be worth showing it off in a realistic setting.
Thanks Richard, I reckon I will have a go - probably just a bit of road and some verge. Meanwhile, I've assembled the guns, and very impressive they are too:

View attachment 24262

The whole thing has been sprayed black for preshading, so it's time to break out the green paint.

Andy

View attachment 30759

DSC_0258.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy

Those brass AA guns look real quality and make quite a bit of difference to the detail of the model.

Looking great so far...

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Andy. Its looking like a good little kit that.

Those Oerlikons are the beez whatsits, who make those?

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks excellent so far Andy. This is gonna be good!

All the best

Paul

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

A bit more done in the last week. The running gear has been fixed and weathered and the lower hull joined to the upper. Also, a start has been made on the stowage and the figures :-

View attachment 26081View attachment 26078View attachment 26080View attachment 26079

Feeling a bit pressed for time now with all the things the other half is finding for me to do now the sun is threatening to come out! :eek:

Andy

View attachment 32145

View attachment 32146

View attachment 32147

View attachment 32148

DSC_0261.JPG

DSC_0267.JPG

DSC_0265.JPG

DSC_0262.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic looking tank andy, top stuff. Is it me or does the bloke on the far right look like one of the tetley tea folk!!!!? cheers tony

P

phalinmegob

your right tony, it looks like stanley,poor fella was locked in a cupboard for years

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is looking spot on Andrew, i don't know why but i fancy a cuppa!!

Have fun, John

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Thanks guys. Now we know where Tamiya get their view of the British - the Japanese always have had a thing for cartoon characters!

Andy