Tamiya 1/48 De Havilland Mosquito MK IV

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I would like to have been able to tell you what a joy this build was but unfortunaly I can't , it was very ill fitting not gappy but the fuselage was bigger by about half a mil on top the engines were out of alignment in fact the only thing that fitted well was the wings , the canopy had no frame just an outline to follow

However I'm pleased with it with my limited experience so I suppose that's all that matters :smiling3: View attachment 75922

View attachment 75923

View attachment 75924

View attachment 75925

View attachment 75926

View attachment 75927

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hello there ... top class build that

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Saguy I appreciate it glad you like it :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great looking mossie alan, although I'm surprised you found it a poor fit , I did one of these and it was great, maybe it was a one off? I love it , its a fantastic build and great paintwork , cheers tony

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks guys I appreciate it

Tony it may well have been stored improperly because I've built many tamiya kits so I was surprised at the fit but I'm happy with in the end :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

For all the fit challenges I think you have done a marvellous job and the model looks really neat. I suspect this has been a storage challenge as Tamiya are renowned for their good fit and I can't say I have ever come across something similar. Lovely finish as well with some nice careful weathering. The only suggestion I would make is a coat of matt finish on the transfers as the gloss surface stands out quite a bit.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
So, what is wrong with it? You got the fit sorted, the paintwork, from the piccies looks AB-really it does, and I know you just a hairy stick. Got a question: Is the wing decals shiny or is it weathering? I thought it was weathering but unsure.

Great build from me mate despite the hassle of the build.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers mate , I agree with you on the decals and I was surprised at the fit myself and agree it's a storage problem

I was also surprised by how much sterdier the decals were tamiya are usually quite flimsy but these were better to put on but too glossy I soppose you can't have it both ways :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
So, what is wrong with it? You got the fit sorted, the paintwork, from the piccies looks AB-really it does, and I know you just a hairy stick. Got a question: Is the wing decals shiny or is it weathering? I thought it was weathering but unsure.Great build from me mate despite the hassle of the build.

Cheers mate :smiling3:

The decals are shiny but thicker and easier to put on , I don't have a problem with it now but at the time it nearly ended up crashed lol

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Cheers mate :smiling3: The decals are shiny but thicker and easier to put on , I don't have a problem with it now but at the time it nearly ended up crashed lol
I know that feeling mate...the grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr feeling takes over...saying that...it would have made a great crashed dio...just a thought.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I know that feeling mate...the grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr feeling takes over...saying that...it would have made a great crashed dio...just a thought.Si:smiling3:
I did think along your idea of a forgotten relic but it wouldn't work because after years in a field the only thing left would be engines and the cockpit due to it being made of wood lol

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Yeah, bit pointless :D

W

Willi262

I see what you mean.

I have 3 kits er, no 4 where something similar had happened.

the ju-88, the ar-234 and the gloster meteor all had bad twists to the airframe

the lindberg tirpitz has seam and join lines that match at the bottom but are like 0.1mm out of alignment at the top. Maybe the alternate half of the plastic cooled faster and shrank a bit, but either way the result is disaster.

Still if you are happy with your final build then that is all that really matters. Be proud to show them off, like you would your children.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I know what you mean steve some time ago I built Airfix lynx HM8 and I had massive gaps of upto 2mm in the body and told everyone on here about only to find out quite acew on here had built the same kit and it was a really good fit so it just goes to show its not always the manufacturers

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well despite the surprise bad fit you got it beat into shape.

Ian M