Tamiya 1/48 F4u-1/2 Bird Cage Corsair

J

John Rixon

Well, here she is! What a journey, with plenty distance left to travel. I know I could pick holes in this build and paintjob, but this felt like a victory to me, and has been a complete joy to build!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
I now have a 1/48 A6M2 to build, as a run up to the big one, that is wending it's way from it's homeland!
Please feel free to offer critique!
John

J

John Rixon

Very nice build, I love the wingfold.

Theuns
Thanks Theuns, had to be done, as it was an option and keeps it easier to display! Always been fascinated by these mechanisms, hoping to build a bigger one sometime, where the mechanism actually works!

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi John,
Just a great job there, did you have any build/fit issues with this kit or was it typical tamiya fashion?
Also I noticed that in the background of one of your pictures it looked like you had used Windsor and Newton galleria gloss, is that right? If so how do you find it? I have used it on a little piece before but it seemed to take an age to dry?
Lovely work.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant. For someone who doesn't normally build aircraft, you've produced an absolute stunner.

J

John Rixon

Hi John,
Just a great job there, did you have any build/fit issues with this kit or was it typical tamiya fashion?
Also I noticed that in the background of one of your pictures it looked like you had used Windsor and Newton galleria gloss, is that right? If so how do you find it? I have used it on a little piece before but it seemed to take an age to dry?
Lovely work.
Thanks Phil, yes, galleria works well, but not as glossy as I'd have hoped, nice and easy to use, I thinned it with Vallejo thinners and it sprays well, but I bought some Alclad Aqua Gloss - on Barry W's recommendation, and that stuff is another league really, good hard finish after 6 hours, but be fussy cleaning your airbrush afterwards. As for fit issues, none, all slipped together nicely - keep an eye on instructions for different versions. And seriously, get Techmod Decals;).

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
John, awesome result; I love the weathering you've achieved in this scale, totally appropriate and convincing.

J

John Rixon

John, awesome result; I love the weathering you've achieved in this scale, totally appropriate and convincing.
Thanks Joe, I kept it simple, as had made stupid schoolboy errors on the Jug. Looking forward to moving up to 1/32, more scope for some pre-shading or black basing, as I'll be using the IJN greeny grey.

D

Doug Hughes

That looks great, John. I love the detail in the folded wings, and (for some reason I was struck by this), the metal finish and shading of the tailwheel. Is it weird to find a tailwheel beautiful?

J

John Rixon

That looks great, John. I love the detail in the folded wings, and (for some reason I was struck by this), the metal finish and shading of the tailwheel. Is it weird to find a tailwheel beautiful?
Ha ha, no! There's no logic to what piques our interest, it's what makes us all different

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job john , i love the corsair and this one ticks all theboxes , cheers tony