Tamiya 1/48 Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu - finishing a part built shelf queen

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
DSCF1680.JPG
This was an ebay purchase - part built, not badly, with some need for seam filling, but not a trowel job!
DSCF1681.JPG
One thing that needs serious attention is the engine - maybe a paint strip to start.............
DSCF1682.JPG

I'm toying with the idea of showing this with extreme paint flaking - a lot of Japanese late war aircraft suffered with this, and I reckon a floatplane could be worse than a landplane - I'll decide whilst sorting the seams.............
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That extreme paint chipping was more a feature of Army planes than Navy ones, AFAIK. The Navy applied good primer to their planes, because of the environment they were to operate in, while Army planes left the factory pretty much in bare aluminium and were often painted at the unit’s discretion in the field — so without primer, and often even without any cleaning. Late in the war, of course, painting standards would probably have slipped for Navy planes too.

BTW, I first thought the original builder had tried installing a bank of LEDs in the nose :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a bit of filling & seam sanding - an overall coat of grey primer
DSCF1685.JPG
The floats are just dry fitted for the moment ( I put the port outrigger on back to front! ). I can find a suitable grey for the underside, but I might have to mix something for the uppers - none of the cam greens I have are green enough, so it'll be one of them with a few drops of Emerald. I know these faded pretty quickly, so I'm not looking for a definitive colour! I'll paint the leading edges yellow & mask them, before starting to spray the main colours.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming together quickly Dave. Soon be floating.....

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice Dave and I love shelf queens I’ve never seen this one now it’s on my list. Thanks for sharing.