Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Smooth tyres on a war time Lancaster.

The strut colour seems to be a bit of a variable, particularly on restored aircraft. I went through dozens of war time pictures before settling on the arrangement visible on the radial engine Lancaster above as the most likely.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
The strut colour seems to be a bit of a variable, particularly on restored aircraft. I went through dozens of war time pictures before settling on the arrangement visible on the radial engine Lancaster above as the most likely.

Cheers

Steve
That's how the Tamiya instructions say to paint the struts.So I will leave them as they are.And smooth tyres it is then (which is what I can see in Roberts photos).

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:

Cheers

Steve
Sorry for the confusion but Steve is right with the smooth type of tyre, if I'm not mistaken most lancs had there wheels covered on the ground to protect the tyres.

Restored aircraft as Steve says poss went for tread tyres

Apologies all round

Robert

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Sorry for the confusion but Steve is right with the smooth type of tyre, if I'm not mistaken most lancs had there wheels covered on the ground to protect the tyres.
Restored aircraft as Steve says poss went for tread tyres

Apologies all round

Robert
No problem Robert.Nice to have a bit of input/discussion.Makes the build more interesting.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 120527

I'm still filling and sanding the gaps around all the engines.The right wing is nearly finished.Just a coat of Mr Surfacer 500 to rub down.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Crikey that is a lot of filling on the nacelles. Coming along nicely Dave.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
That's a Lot of extra filling and sanding you got yourself there but I'm sure it'll pay off in the end

Will you need to do a lot of re scribing to retain the panel detail ?

Looking good though

Robert

I

ian lanc

This Lanc' kit is a blinder to build up but the more you make the easier it gets.....

Last edited:
First Name
Dave
View attachment 120845

View attachment 120847

I've finally finished sanding and filling the engines.And I've just glued the wings on.And after repeatedly changing my mind I've decided to glue the bomb doors on in the closed position.I've also decide on an identity for the aircraft.Im going to do a bomber flown by Wing Cdr Guy Gibson when he was C O of no.106 sqdn before he led 617 on the Dams raid.The aircraft was named 'Admiral Prune'.Ive got some nose art decals and codes left over from previous builds of this model.View attachment 120846

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Jason
Really nice work so far Dave. That bomb bay looks very impressive, sure you don't want to leave it open;)

Jason

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Really nice work so far Dave. That bomb bay looks very impressive, sure you don't want to leave it open;)
Jason
That's not my bomb bay.Thats 'Ian Lancs' model.

I

ian lanc

I should put a layer of Klear/Future over the old decals!

Got three old Tamiya decal sets and all three of them broke up when they went in water.

First Name
Dave
View attachment 120926

I've sprayed the cockpit interior colour on to the canopy.And I've glued the wing tip lights on.These are going to need a bit of sanding and polishing tomorrow as they are not a great fit.Then the model will be ready for painting.As you can see, it's too big for my spray booth!image.jpg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Now Dave you have created a fantastic Aircraft here and I'm sure I can say without a doubt all the guys have admired your patience on this build. When I first saw the decals I thought oh he's doing mini the mooch but then saw the write up and profile

Well put that man to do a bomber of such a notorious leader ( Guy Gibson is always remembered for the Dambusters but rarely is he seen in the light as what he was before 617 )

Really impressed with your thoughts on this AIrcraft designation

Well done

Robert