Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS.1

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It builds up quite well actually. A couple of things to look out for are the swing nozzles. Spent a bit of time shaving, thinning and seam removing and they're OK

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I built this in the 90's.Cant remember it giving me any problems.

First Name
Jason
Cheers Gents, it's nice to know that it builds up nice in the right hands. I'll give it my best shot.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
look forward to following this one..................as i have exactly the same kit for the GB! :P

First Name
Jason
Made a start on the cockpit and engine. The cockpit is so basic that I'm putting the pilot guy in to add some interest. The engine looks good but I had to play about with the cover panel to get a reasonable fit.

View attachment 79279

I also have a question for you all. I've glued the two fuselage halves together and they moved slightly when they were clamped up so they dried slightly out of line. I've sanded the step smooth but I've lost the raised panel lines and rivet details. What techniques do you guys use to replace them???

Thanks

Jason

DSC01167.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm no easy way really, Once you have damaged the raised panel lines there are two options. Leave it be or start scribing.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice engine and pilot Jason. As for the raised panel lines, you have two options that I am aware of (having been a raised panel line sander myself). All is not lost and you don't have to re-scribe the entire model.

The first option is to trace over the missing panel line with your knife using a new (sharp) blade on an angle. Because the knife is very sharp and you cut at an angle, the recessed line will not be visible but the raised portion will be. I recommend that you practice on an old scrap of plastic first though. You may want to use something to guide the knife, like dymo tape or some other flexible but hard surface.

The second option is to place masking tape on both sides of what will become the raised panel line. Make the gap as large as you want the line to be. Then add some filler of your choice (small amount of putty, liquid paper/Tipex or whatever you lot call it over there). Once dry, gently sand the filler to suit the shape and size. You may have to use small files for this. Leave the masking tape on until complete to avoid damaging the surrounding plastic.

Hopefully one of these will work for you. Look forward to seeing the result.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Or to replace a raised panel line, used stretched sprue. Heat it, stretch it so it's nice and thin, cut it to length and glue it in place. Sand it down job done.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
How did you get on with the raised panel line replacement Jason?