Tamiya 1:48 Swordfish Mk 1 float plane

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Which acrylics do you use?
Thanks Rupert. I've used Vallejo for this build, but for spraying, I always use their medium retarder in the standard colours, but it's not needed for the metal colours.

So, right now, I think I'm right in saying all painting has been done. It's now just a question of slapping a few bits together. Simple really.
32.JPG

R

Rupert Carss

Thanks Rupert. I've used Vallejo for this build, but for spraying, I always use their medium retarder in the standard colours, but it's not needed for the metal colours.

So, right now, I think I'm right in saying all painting has been done. It's now just a question of slapping a few bits together. Simple really.
View attachment 289378
Thanks for the reply Colin. I use Vallejo too but I don't use the retarded. I tend to go 50% paint, and then a 50/50 mix of Vallejo thinners and water. That's for general painting.
How did you get on with the PE for the rigging? I've seen the eduard sets and they look good, but I'm not sure I've got the bottle for this kit yet!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for the reply Colin. I use Vallejo too but I don't use the retarded. I tend to go 50% paint, and then a 50/50 mix of Vallejo thinners and water. That's for general painting.
How did you get on with the PE for the rigging? I've seen the eduard sets and they look good, but I'm not sure I've got the bottle for this kit yet!
I've done a fair bit of rigging in the past using EZ line. This Tamiya rigging is meant to replicate the flat bars used on the aircraft so I decided to use it. I'm not sure how it will effect the overall look of the finished model but I am starting to think it was the right thing to do. So, how was it ? Well at first, it was a bit of a pain, but then again so is normal rigging when you first try it. After I had fitted a couple of pieces, I developed a method that suited me and things worked ok. However, it still took a lot longer using Tamiya rigging instead of using my normal method.
50/50 mix of Vallejo thinners and water
That's roughly what I do as well. Often the Vallejo clogs the needle once or twice, then it remains clear - strange that. I've got a few AK interactive colours as well, these are very nice, In my view, better than Vallejo.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Right, this time I'm sure the fuselage is complete having installed the control wires and leather padding around the cockpit.
IMG_20171027_074903544.jpg

Onto the torpedo. A touch more PE to fit around the torpedo, will they fit ?
IMG_20171027_074934032.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well Mr Eduard, circumference is calculated thus, pi x D
Shame you didn't use this basic formula when you made your pe for the Tamiya torpedo. Then they might of been long enough.
IMG_20171027_082624077.jpg
As they were too short, I've cut them down to represent some sort of cable.

Fitting the wings will be s real pain, so I need time, no fast acting glue here. When did you last use anything like this ?
IMG_20171027_092540992.jpg
It's not the nice smelly stuff, but still very stringy..

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's it, done. Pic's will be in the completed section - if it ever brightens up outside enough to take any.

T

Tony

That tube glue brings back memories of when i was young and the only glue that i seemed to be able to get were those little white tubes of Airfix with the metal spigot to seal the end. You used to cut the end off and find the glue was under more pressure than a steam boiler - it used to go every place :smiling: things have certainly moved on over the years.

Your build looks fantastic and your painting is so neat.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That tube glue brings back memories of when i was young and the only glue that i seemed to be able to get were those little white tubes of Airfix with the metal spigot to seal the end. You used to cut the end off and find the glue was under more pressure than a steam boiler - it used to go every place :smiling3: things have certainly moved on over the years.

Your build looks fantastic and your painting is so neat.
Moved on - not half. When I returned to the hobby after a 30 something year break, this was the type of glue I used, until someone directed me towards the extra thin stuff I use now. But, as I mentioned above, the extra thing wouldn't have helped me with the wings, so it was time for 'old school' glue.