Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish upcoming build ref

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
image.png
Hi guys I'm in a bit of a dilemma and I'm hoping all you jolly modellers out there may be able to help.
For Xmas one of my pressies is going to be the Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish Mk2, with lots of aftermarkets. I have tons of ref pics and some other books that give a little on detail , I'm looking for this book and wondered if any of you have this and would either part with for £££ or if need be $$$$ if coming over seas.
I've tried everywhere on the net and bookshops etc and I'm still with glum face!! Not even Tamiya stock it any more??

Any help grateful

Regards

Robert

First Name
Dave
I've got this kit in my stash.Dont know what use that book would be though.Unless you intend to super detail it.Its pretty well detailed already.My how to build instructions would be 'Glue the bits together and paint it'. I've also got the etched rigging set for it.One of the forum members (Laurie) did a superb build of this kit.He had a lot of trouble getting the etched rigging to stay in place.And as its etched and flat,it probably doesn't look very convincing.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi Dave well thanks for the vote of confidence wher the book is concerned and I've decide I'm going to "wing and a prayer " regarding the build and as you quite rightly say the Tamiya kit is rather well detailed but........ And this is a big but........ Because it's going to be a 1 off Bi plane and the wife did say I could go full hog on it I decided to go to the limits with detailing. It's already arrived from Japan ( yippee) I have got the rigging set too but I've heard mixed results about the scale of the rigging/ braces so I've yet again gone down another route and orders Ammo .05mm rigging wire ( similar too EZ line ) and also .02mm for the control wires which I'm led to believe are more to scale wih the 1/48 kit.
I've also got a 1/48 Lewis gun ( resin) with ammo drums and also a resin wheel set.
I'm even considering getting the 1/48 trolley for the Torpedo but I'm not sure I'm going to include in the build
I will be posting a thread on the full build when it starts soon

Regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys I'm looking for some help.
Xmas saw me get the Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish and even though I'm really looking forward to this kit and building it very soon I have a number of questions I'm hoping some of you can answer. A lot of ref suggest that Tamiya have the paint colours wrong ( not quite the correct colours if you know what I mean.
I mainly use Model Air / Model Color Acrylicpaints now and although I will use Tamiya aswell I want to make this Swordfish a really good kit, the best
So my question is Do I go with the Tamiya ref in the instruction and find the nearest in the Model Air paint or is there a list of exact matches that correct the Tamiya oversights.
Also I'm looking at the weaponry for the Swowdfish IE Rockets, smoke grenades, mines etc what are the true colour ref for these.
Has anyone got any ideas

Thanks

Robert