Tamiya 1/72 Bf109E3

T

TonyBv9

I hadn't done any modelling for over a year, and I needed something simple to get me going again. This is the perfect kit for that purpose. It goes together beautifully, with no filler needed at all. I went for a simple colour scheme as I still consider myself a beginner with an AB. I used paint masks for the first time, and it was well worth it. The decals were the only let-down; the belt decal disintegrated and the others were quite thick. Anyway, I consider it done. There is a 1/48 version too, which I imagine would be as good.IMG_2260.JPGIMG_2265.JPGIMG_2266.JPGIMG_2264.JPG

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Nice 109 Tony especially in 1/72, have an airfix starter one of these to do with the boy at some stage which should be fun. This reminded me of my E1 that I completed not so long ago (see completed thread below) with a similar scheme and emblem on the fuselage.
If your gonna do a 1/48 I strongly suggest an eduard profipack, these for me at the most detailed compared to other kits in the stash and it goes together really well. The engine is included also and with a bit of scratch building you can do as little or as much as you like to it.
Great start after a year away from building,
Cheers.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/phils-eduard-1-48-me109-e-1.29207/#post-365469

T

TonyBv9

Thanks Phil. My next 109 will be the 1/48 Zvezda F4 in a desert scheme, which I already have. It has a bewildering number of parts, and can be posed with engine panels open etc.

D

Doug Hughes

Looks great, Tony. The all-revealing close-up of the cockpit shows some good detail inside and the canopy framing is really neat. Tamiya decals can be a bit hit and miss, can't they? - surprising when the plastic is usually so good.

T

TonyBv9

Thanks. I'm a convert to masking sets, especially with such a complex canopy frame. I gave it a light coat of Klear to prevent seepage under the tape, and after removal rubbed some Blu-tack over it to remove any adhesive residue.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Awesome result Tony, I like the result you've achieved for your Messerschmitt

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice 109 Tony especially in 1/72, have an airfix starter one of these to do with the boy at some stage which should be fun. This reminded me of my E1 that I completed not so long ago (see completed thread below) with a similar scheme and emblem on the fuselage.
If your gonna do a 1/48 I strongly suggest an eduard profipack, these for me at the most detailed compared to other kits in the stash and it goes together really well. The engine is included also and with a bit of scratch building you can do as little or as much as you like to it.
Great start after a year away from building,
Cheers.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/phils-eduard-1-48-me109-e-1.29207/#post-365469
Let me also recommend the Airfix 1/48 Bf 109E. For its price you get a very nice kit, that is not so expensive or rare as the Eduard one. However the Eduard one is still undoubtedly the better overall kit.
Cheers, John

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great job. And great to see it all done in 1:72.