Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1D Corsair - question about panel lines

First Name
Alex
Hi everybody.

I thought I would post up some pics of this build since I've never posted up my work in stages before.

This is the Tamiya 1:72 F4U-1D Corsair and first I did struggle a bit with getting the right shade of blue since there is no real conversion from Tamiya's AS-8 US Navy Blue colour, which incidentally ONLY comes in a spray can! I managed to make the colour up myself.

One dilemma I'm facing at the moment is in regards to the panel lines. I've scored them out and I'm actually quite happy with the effect already, they really pop out and iIm half minded to leave them in this white/grey colour or maybe try a grey wash? it's a bit different to standard black panel lines, what do you think, should i keep the lines in a light colour or go to the standard black wash?

20170123_174716_rorngy.jpg

20170123_175020_quz2fe.jpg

20170126_131224_o6nkoe.jpg

20170129_032026_abtpsp.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I think that grey panel line effect is more convincing and realistic than a black or dark grey wash. If you do add a wash later use a lighter grey.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Like Joe, I would be tempted to leave it a light grey. It does look more convincing Alex. Great work by the way.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
A little light earth brown very thinned would look nice and convincing especially around the fuselage and engine area as this would be common for most Corsairs in latter war years. Although the Corsair was a Naval carrier plane I have read that quite a few flew from temporary airbases on captured islands in the Pacific theatre of operations. This is why I mention the light earth brown.
Of course this is only a suggestion and yes the Aircraft looks splendid as it is
Great model

Kind regards

Robert

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Very nice. :cool:
You could decant the spray can using a straw. That is what I did with my 1/24 Calsonic Skyline. The colour blue that i need was only available in the rattle can - quite an easy task - just remember to let the decanted paint de-gas.o_O

First Name
Alex
Thanks for all your input. Ive decided to go for a dark grey panel wash 1)because i only bought it a couple of weeks ago and havent used it and 2) its lighter than black but darker than white and also covers up some of the misaligned score marks. I"ll be posting finished pics up soon.