tamiya 32 scale p51d mustang

D

demon

this will be a long very indepth build not sure which one I will do yet but probably the glengary guy

The kit is very nice some say it's too expensive but if you work out the hours to build per pound it's very good value I think

I also will be adding a lot of photo etch and added placards and some scratch built stuff

This is my favorite aircraft so I'll be giving it my all

Made a start on the engine which comprises of over 44 parts plus photo etch

During research I discovered a lot of people had used the wrong parts which is easy as both spitfire and mustang parts are on the sprue

I have the Eduard pe sets for the engine which include plug leads but I have scratch built the tubes that carry the leads as I think they are more accurate

Please feel free to comment even be critical as the only way I learn is by something being pointed out to me anyway pull up a chair

Roger

2016-02-27 18.47.38.jpg

2016-02-27 18.47.50.jpg

2016-02-27 18.48.11.jpg

Last edited:
D

demon

Just removed oil tank strap fixing points on the engine firewall and replaced with pe also started removing straps on the oil tank also replaced zeus fasteners on the firewall all this detail will be very visible and I hope will make a lot of difference to the finished model

Roger

2016-02-27 21.42.16.jpg

2016-02-27 21.43.00.jpg

2016-02-27 21.39.55.jpg

F

Fenlander

Totally agree with your 'hours per pound' comment on the price of kits. it really is the way to value kits. I have a feeling this labour of love will become something a bit special.

D

demon

\ said:
Totally agree with your 'hours per pound' comment on the price of kits. it really is the way to value kits. I have a feeling this labour of love will become something a bit special.
I hope it will be special but it will push my limits this is also my first 32 scale build and the level of detail is stunning on the kit also got the book by Brett green anybody that likes mustangs this is a must

Roger

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Don't normally pay much attention to those flying pests (planes) :D But the Mustangs were quite special, Goering once said when he saw Mustangs flying over Berlin he knew the war was lost.

1/32 scale will make a very impressive model indeed! I know you'll do a bang up job.....will keep an eye on;)..............Jim:smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Don't normally pay much attention to those flying pests (planes) :D But the Mustangs were quite special, Goering once said when he saw Mustangs flying over Berlin he knew the war was lost.

1/32 scale will make a very impressive model indeed! I know you'll do a bang up job.....will keep an eye on;)..............Jim:smiling3:

N

noble

I love the p51 beautiful design married to a merlin power plant which makes this a very special aircraft.

Scott

T

T. van Vuuren

I am also busy with one of these kits, I find it a relatively easy kit with exelent detail anf fit...but having said that there is sooooooooo much of it! Just when you think you are done and reay to close the fuselage there seems to be another sub assembly to make and install.

Theuns

D

demon

\ said:
I am also busy with one of these kits, I find it a relatively easy kit with exelent detail anf fit...but having said that there is sooooooooo much of it! Just when you think you are done and reay to close the fuselage there seems to be another sub assembly to make and install.
Theuns
Yes I know what you mean already Theuns it's not like doing a 48 scale at all good luck with yours

Roger

First Name
Adrian
I'll be watching closely as I have the same kit and the book. So pen and paper handy to make notes :smiling3:

Adrian

D

demon

\ said:
I'll be watching closely as I have the same kit and the book. So pen and paper handy to make notes :smiling3:
Adrian
Make sure you don't get confused as so many do with parts v7 and v8 I nearly did and I was aware of the fact

Also rumour has it the radio is in the wrong way around I'll look into it it's a stunning kit Adrian if you paint certain bits they won't fit lol

D

demon

Today I painted the engine and fuel tank semigloss black and the floor infront of the pilots seat tamiya wooden deck tan xf.78 then when dry gave it a coat of burnt umber oil then wiped an old stiff brush over it to create the plywood grain to the floor later I'll paint black over it all then scuff up were the pilots boots would be I also removed the battery overflow bottle as this in real is a glass bottle filled with cotton wool I made a new one from some of the canopy sprue drilled a hole in the bottom then put some white paint in it

Roger

2016-02-28 14.50.17.jpg

2016-02-28 14.58.59.jpg

2016-02-28 14.50.49.jpg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi Roger that's a nice kit ( I got one from Modelzone before it went bust! ) I started it but never got round to more than the engine and office. I lost big mojo on it and sold it.

But now I'm interested again and maybe I'll be taking notes how to do it right and then I may get one!

Great start

Got me coffee and notepad ( I'm watching this )

Regards

Robert

D

demon

\ said:
Hi Roger that's a nice kit ( I got one from Modelzone before it went bust! ) I started it but never got round to more than the engine and office. I lost big mojo on it and sold it.
But now I'm interested again and maybe I'll be taking notes how to do it right and then I may get one!

Great start

Got me coffee and notepad ( I'm watching this )

Regards

Robert
Hi Robert I got this when it first came out about two years ago but I was always scared to build it till now didn't think I was good enough to do it justice but I say now what the hell if I don't give it a try I'll never know I'm not worried about the inside it's the exterior that scares me lol

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I will be watching this. Its a good kit, not without issues but it really is a nice build and you have made a really good start.

I have built one as a RAF Mk IV and have two more in the stash to build. Whatever your do don't limit yourself to the kit options and take a look at great range of aftermarket decal options. Some fantastic nose art is available.

D

demon

Thanks Barry I have the cudacals placards all the Eduard pe not that I'll use it all some is not any better than the kit I also have the cockpit rails and the radiator

I think I'll go for an early ish one and probably glengary guy from the 79th fighter squadron looks quite nice

D

demon

Done quite a lot in the last 24 hours engine and fuel tank weathered with a drybrushing of tamiya xf 85 I then mixed up a load of interior green and airbrushed the seat and the firewall complete with oil tank various other frames and then picked out the oil tank straps in Matt silver also scratched up the seat and a few other bits with silver

This ain't no 48 scale that's for sure there is so much detail

If anybody knows where the wires go from the radio it would be great

Thought I knew a lot about mustangs obviously not enough :smiling3:

Please keep the comments coming guys

Roger

2016-02-29 19.54.18.jpg

2016-02-29 19.56.06.jpg

2016-02-29 19.55.22.jpg

2016-02-29 19.55.43.jpg