tamiya 32 scale p51d mustang

First Name
Stuart
\ said:
Just painted guns satin black then drybrushed with gunmetal airbrushed the bays and gave them a wash of burnt umber next up the troughs for the ammo belts I have a choice here of kit plastic or photo etch not sure which to use yet it's down to which machine gun rounds look best once painted
Roger
Still looking good Roger.

D

demon

\ said:
The detail is amazing
This kit has so much more detail than the 48 scale tamiya kit but it's not without some issues mainly the radio is the wrong way around if you follow the instructions and the battery is too far to the left looking from the rear only about 4 mm but that's throwing other things out

The fit of all the parts is terrific it could not be better I have decided to use the kit ammo belts as they are better than the photo etch stuff

Going to go back to finishing the cockpit next as I want to get the fuselage glued up together and there is still a lot to do first

Thanks guys for following the build I do find it a great help and encouragement

Still not quite sure which one I will do but it will be an early one as the instrument panel and lack of fin fillet dictate this version

Roger

D

demon

sorry it's been so long guys had a MacDonald burger Friday and ended up with food poisoning on the mend now

Made a start on the wheel wells added some wiring next up will be all the hydraulic lines

2016-03-14 19.14.56.jpg

2016-03-14 19.14.42.jpg

D

demon

Sorry it's been a while since I last posted been busy

Not a lot to report but I have done some of the hydraulic lines in the wheel wells also got some 1mm tall numbers for the guns

2016-03-24 21.16.16.jpg

2016-03-24 21.16.16.jpg

2016-03-24 21.16.30.jpg

2016-03-24 21.17.05.jpg

D

demon

20160329_084024.jpg

20160329_084024.jpg

Just done the bottle and wiring for the radio and the battery

Sorry it's a slow progress guys other things in life keep getting in the way

Roger

Last edited:
First Name
john
Looks to be a great kit with very impressive detailing and your doing a great job of it.

Keep up the good work cheers John

D

demon

Cheers John and Scott

Yes it's the best kit I have ever seen for detail and accuracy and fit it did cost 100 quid but in build time I think that's good value

Roger

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Super work so far Roger. I particularly like that landing gear bay with the hydraulic lines added. The cockpit is looking A1, lovely work on the radio sets.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice work mate, the detailing is really good, but just as a quite constructive criticism, don't use braided wire for wiring. It is really obvious to judges and historically inaccurate. Instead, get a grouping (I used to use Albion alloys or even electrical wiring copper inner wire) and coil them together in a circular, but haphazard manner. After that, dip it in a highly thinned glue, then paint over. That results in a really good, electrical wiring. However, experimentation is good, and I know that copper wire works for 1/48, but I never did do a 1/32 aircraft properly.

Apart from that, the detailing is really nice