Tamiya brushes

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Norman, all the brush points above are relevant to optimise life span and usage of brushes. Paint is the next issue...I have many nightmares brush painting with Tamiya Acrylics (Not actually an acrylic per say) I have tried but it consistently lifts the moment a second stroke of the brush touches the first layer which should not be the characteristics of an acrylic. It's first class for airbrushing provided the surface is prepared properly and I have no problem with that.
Sorry to go off point but if you are going to invest in good brushes and maintenance, best to paint with the right paint for hand brushing. I use Vallejo for my figures...for large areas perhaps fellow modellers can suggest a paint for you. I can't as I airbrush large areas including base coats on large figures.

Cheers,
Richard

N

Normal Norman

...I have many nightmares brush painting with Tamiya Acrylics ...

Well funnily enough, I've recently ditched Vallejo because (a) it doesn't dry matt/flat enough for me and (b) I found that the completely dried (as in a week later) surface was relatively easily damaged and I really didn't want to have to varnish everything. Humbrol was out because of poor stock availability online and my previous experiences with its very variable quality, so I went with Tamiya primarily on the grounds of prior experience and the matt finish (with the XF series paints!).

I prefer it to Vallejo Model Air for airbrushing, which I usually use for larger areas, but as I'm new to scratchbuilding, I seem to be finding myself needing to paint areas which I should have airbrushed but now can't because the masking off would be a major PITA. Hence my interest in flat brushes! :smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Norman, I've not tried Vallejo Model Air for airbrushing as it seems too diluted for me but I've heard it needs misting a few layers before it covers an area. I have not used Vallejo Model Color for airbrushing either only for brush painting. Humbrol enamels were my initial paint for both airbrushing and brush painting but as you said poor stock availability has led me to try Vallejo and I've been happy with it although being skeptical at the beginning. Yes some of their range dry satin but for me that's ok for figures as I matt varnish in the end.

Perhaps small touch ups with Tamiya may work on a surface with a pre painted cured Tamiya surface. But I haven't had good results painting straight on with a paint brush...always ends up as gunk.
Gunze Lacquers are also not brush friendly. I would suggest you try out on scrap first until you're satisfied it works for you.

Cheers,
Richard