Tamiya decals and microsol - warning

B

backonthecase

Today, I started putting the fairing decals on my Tam 1/12 Honda Blackbird, and when I microsol'd them, they wrinkled and cracked.

I believe the kit is from the Mid-late 90s so beware if you've got a bike kit from this time... or maybe it's just this one!! lol

Stuart

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Old decals can be a real problem to handle,it sounds as if there were microscopic cracks or distessed decals,once the solvent is applied it creeps underneath and is quite searching.

One trick I have tried with old and valuable decals is to coat them with something,clear varnish is perhaps better applied two thin coats,this has the effect of closing up the old age cracks and sealing the decal,best to experiment with a piece of decal in some obscure place on the model itself.

B

backonthecase

\ said:
Old decals can be a real problem to handle,it sounds as if there were microscopic cracks or distessed decals,once the solvent is applied it creeps underneath and is quite searching.One trick I have tried with old and valuable decals is to coat them with something,clear varnish is perhaps better applied two thin coats,this has the effect of closing up the old age cracks and sealing the decal,best to experiment with a piece of decal in some obscure place on the model itself.
So I can varnish the decals on the sheet before removing them?

Never done that but if it's a possibility I'll give it a go...

Cheers