Tamiya Ducati 1199 Panigale S

M

m1ks

Hey all, it's been an age since I last posted and the last year ish has been a tumultuous time for me, lots of life related changes and such but I shan't go into that.

As a result however, my model making has been very definitely on the back burner and the odd times I've done bits on a kit it's been half hearted and I've not really felt into it.

However, a recent new entry by Tamiya in their motorbike range had me excited, as per the title they have released a 1:12 scale Panigale, the latest sports bike from Ducati which is currently unigue in that it's the first road bike ever to not have a conventional frame of either steel or alloy, it does, in fact, not have a frame at all, the engine is used as the main stressed member of the bike with a large cast alloy airbox which the headstock / front fork assy pivot through, the subframe and swinging arm fasten to the rear of the engine and the fuel tank sits atop the airbox.

It's bristling with innovations and boasts electronics that would make Japan's big four weep.

It is, as you'd expect very beautiful too.

The kit was received the other day and inspected and is well up to Tamiya's high quality standards with stunning detail, no flash, only a couple of minor sink marks on one of the sprues but in places that are hidden once built.

The only dissapointment, (which I suspect is due to legal problems), are the tyres, they are exceptionally realistic in design and tread pattern, faithful to the Pirelli diablo supercorsa SP tyres, (the roadgoing version of the tyre used in bristish superstock racing for those who like to know these things), but they don't carry any sidewall lettering, only the direction of rotation arrows, typically as well as accurate tread, tamiya bike tyres in the kits will be accurately lettered.

There are three large sprues, mainly bodywork, (white), mainly engine, (grey), and mainly Chassis, inasmuch as there is one (black). One clear sprue for the lighting and screen, a seperate top fairing in a small bag and of course the bag with tyre, vinyl tubing and fastening parts.

Also the decal sheet and instructions which are thorough and clear as always.

I've done an overview video and unboxing and having cleaned the sprues and dried them, started assembling some components,

petrol tank, front mudguard, paddock stand, engine, swingarm, airbox, exhaust, the next step will be priming, many of the parts will remain on the sprue for priming which is how I normally approach bike builds, the only difference so far is that I haven't assembled a frame as there is none.

Below are some box and sprue shots and the video of the review / unboxing.

I've never been the fastest builder so please bear with me on this one, I like to take my time and do the best I can with a model, (see my Honda NR thread), I will update with posts here and on youtube as I progress with it.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Popcorn and flask at the ready i havn't a bike years so i will be looking for tips.

Peter t

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hello stranger. Good to see you back at the bench.

A most interesting project that I will be keeping an eye on.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi M1ks

It's good to see you back.

That duc looks awesome! I'll definitely be watching this. Good comeback choiceo_O

Cheers

P

P

Polux

Wow! What a beauty :eek:

As a bike lover...I will follow with interest :P

Looks a difficult paintwork...O_o to mark the difference between the gloss and semi-gloss parts.

M

m1ks

Thanks guys, some familiar names, good to see you all still here, :smiling3:

The paint should be pretty straightforward Polux, all the panels are separated and the whole body work will be gloss red, (including the front mudguard, i'm not a fan of replicating carbon fibre nor seeing a CF one on the real thing)

The inner plastics and other bits are a mix of matt and satin blacks so a bit of shade differential to highlight them more maybe, we'll see how that goes.

M

m1ks

Next step, a few bits pre assembled and cleaned and everything primed, the bulk still on sprue to make things easier.

Next step is going to be a nice shiny red on the fairing, tank, mudguard.

T

treyzx10r

Looking great Mike! Glad to see you back and building. I've missed having a fellow 2 wheel builder. I'll be watching with great intrest my friend just bought a white Pani S and put BST carbon wheels on it,its a beast!!!

P

Polux

Mmmm:rolleyes: looking magnificent!

I will be waiting for this shiny red on ;)

M

m1ks

Red on the panels.

Humbrol 220 Ferrari red, lovely deep gloss, decals and clear once that's cured then gloss black for the bits needing alclad, polished stainless for the exhausts and front and rear the silencers/mufflers and chrome for the sliders which I'm going to try and get the slightly gold finish on somehow, hmm.

Hi Trey, good to see you're still here, that sounds really nice, has he let you play on it? I'd be begging him non stop, I prefer the red on pretty much any Ducati, I couldn't imagine my 916 any other colour but I'd love to have a go on a Panigale no matter the colour.

Thing is, I'm really fancying a Harley for the next one when I'm able to afford, loving the look of the new forty eight sportster.

Thanks Polux, I'm always amazed by your painting skills so any compliment from you is gratefully accepted, :smiling3:

M

m1ks

There has been a further working on the panigale, Engine is painted and assembled, I have Nato black on the cast aluminium parts, airbox, swingarm, subframe and satin black on a good few other parts, (callouts are matt and semi gloss but ref pics show the aluminium parts to be a greyer black than a straight matt black hence the above)

I have bits masked for the gloss black in readiness for the alclad chrome and stainless steel to go on, exhaust, fork sliders, headlight.

No pics of them just yet, i'll try to update as soon as i'm able but there will be a pause soon as i'm taking a couple of weeks break with my son.

Thanks for hanging in so far, I will endevour to get the photos on here, videos 1 and 2 on youtube are here if you have the patience to listen to me waffling a lot, :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Mike (it is Mike isn't it?)

Excellent stuff. Video is informative too especially on colour call outs. I've no doubt this Ducati will look very impressive when finished and I'll continue to drop by to watch the progress. I've 2 bike kits (YZR M1 '05 with Yamaha stripe [inter colour] and a RC211v '06 Repsol Honda) in the stash and I'm picking up the odd tip here and there, hoping to match your results when the builds happen. I have the colour matched paints from Hiroboy for the body panels but your info on the frame, sub assemblies etc is very interesting.

Many thanks for posting

Paul

M

m1ks

It is Mike, yes.

Thanks for your kind words Paul and if you get any useful tips then I'm pleased about that.

The hiroboy paints are supposed to be very good but the fiddliest bits of a race bike are the numerous decals, a lot of patience required and plenty of microsol, I find it's the little details that make the difference, like washes on an aluminum engine and on the drive chain to make the detail stand out.

I look forward to seeing yours being built.

T

treyzx10r

Looking great Mike! I have'nt had the stones to even ask him to ride it yet , he has'nt quite 'knocked the new off' ! I agree its gotta be red if its a Duc. I really like that red you are using looks nice rich and deep.

M

m1ks

I'd have had a written official request in before he even took delivery, LOL

I do like that red too, first time I used it and was saving it especially for a Ducati, I have a few more in the stash to do, a 900MHR, 888, couple of 916's and a Desmosedici, I just had to get this one and build it first though.

Still on hols with my boy so it'll be another week or so before I get back on it, i'm looking forward to getting more of it done and start assembling though

A

alfa33333

What a beauty! I would like to do one like this some day!:oops:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
As a Ducati fan, that looks sweet! :smiling3:

V

V1P3R

Looking good so far, will be following this as I fancy doing one too! Tho in Ducati yellow as I like to be different!

Tho wasn't the Desmosedici the first Ducati using the engine ad part of the carbon frame? Isn't that why Rossi didn't get on well at Ducati ad it made the bike too stiff for his riding style? May be wrong tho.

M

Mark P

Mike you talk in the video about an oil wash on the engine, what do you mean exactly?