Tamiya French AMX 13 converted into IDF AMX 13 Six Day War 1967

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Blimey Steve,
I thought you had been quiet for a bit....you been very busy here!
Really enjoy your researching and upgrading shenanigans....and it looks like you do too:smiling4:
Si

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Steve,
Great build and the final completed photo's show this model off a treat. You do know they mounted the turrets onto Shermans, hint hint....
Cheers, MikeC.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Si - By far my most favourite conversion to date. I had a lot of fun with the research and learnt a lot:thumb2:
Mike - I was tempted with that conversion but a few people had already done it. Never say never though
Peter - Many thanks

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Outstanding result. Paint process was daunting, but you can't argue w/success. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
A most impressive piece of modelling. Excellent converting and painting. Also a big pat on the back for your thorough research.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve,
You kept that one quiet mate, a great build beautifully finished.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Steve

Super SBS on all your techniques.

Great finish for desert based vehicle

Regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Neo - Cheers my friend. Glad you enjoyed it
Paul - Half the battle was getting the base colour right. Used a couple of new paint techniques which turned out well
Jim - Thanks mate. This was the main reason for posting as a reference for an accurate conversion into an IDF AMX
Scottie - This was the one that was going into the Finescale mag but the photos let it down. With my new photo booth hopefully my next project will be more successful
Steve - I am a big fan of all things deserty. Thanks for the support

T

Tony Lee

I built this kit from Dragon,the hull has pretty good detail but the turret is not that great.
dra3570_0_1505789739.jpg
The info i've found said that they were painted a very light color that looked almost white. Have you come across any thing that might have suggested what the color name was?

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Tony

It depends on what era you want to base your build on.

The Israelis changed their colours two or three times during the 1900's. Originally the vehicles that came from France were French Olive drab and there are cases where some vehicles were left this colour or parts of the vehicle throughout the lifetime of the vehicle.
Then in the early 60's they started to paint them a yellowish sandy colour up to 1967. Then it was changed to a pale grey/green which I went for. This remained in place for sometime. Then more recently they have become darker and darker green.
However being in the desert there would have been a lot of sun fading and a lot of dust which may explain the "very light colour" look. Hope this helps rather than confuses:smiling3:

Steve

T

Tony Lee

Tony

It depends on what era you want to base your build on.

The Israelis changed their colours two or three times during the 1900's. Originally the vehicles that came from France were French Olive drab and there are cases where some vehicles were left this colour or parts of the vehicle throughout the lifetime of the vehicle.
Then in the early 60's they started to paint them a yellowish sandy colour up to 1967. Then it was changed to a pale grey/green which I went for. This remained in place for sometime. Then more recently they have become darker and darker green.
However being in the desert there would have been a lot of sun fading and a lot of dust which may explain the "very light colour" look. Hope this helps rather than confuses:smiling3:

Steve

Thank You Sir

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Buddy .
Sorry that I missed most of this , as always a great amount of history and relative facts. I do agree with Si and Paul that you kept this very quiet..........what else have you been up to that your not telling eh
Great work and in a large scale for you, see your using the pewter up again !
JR