Tamiya Honda CB750F 1/12th. First Ever Model.

DaveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi all, just about to start my first ever model a Tamiya 1/12 Honda CB750F. Before I start I want to get anything I need to do a model, advice would be very much appreciated on what I need. I have been looking at the assembly instructions but they are very basic and don't really tell a complete novice how to do things. Are there information sheets around to tell you how to build kits, like how to prepare pieces, painting and how you do decals . I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions. All I have at the moment is just the kit, nothing else.
Thanks in advance
Dave

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Dave. If your model is a fairly recent release then you should be able to start building without having to worry about release agent being present on the parts. If in doubt give everything a wash in warm soapy water and rince thouroughly and dry. General rule of thumb is paint the model when it is assembled. Dont paint the parts and then assemble as the glue may damage your paintwork. Parts that are hard to reach may need painting earlier in the build process. Aircraft cockpits being one example. With painting you can choose Acrylics or Enamels. This is a personal preference and varies between modelers. Keep super glue away from any clear parts and away from decals. It will destroy both. Gereral modeling glue is ok for the majority of the build but use a PVA based product like Krystal Clear on any clear parts. It dries crystal clear, does what it says on the box. Only apply decals to a gloss surface so once painted you may need to aplpy a gloss clear coat before you decal. There are various decal solutions on the market to help with decal application but always test the solution on an inconspicuous decal first in case you have a bad reaction with the decal. If you struggle with the instructions shout up and post a picture of the instruction sheet with the section you are having difficulty with and someone will step up and help. For me you have chosen a difficult and fiddly build as a first model. I would have picked myself up a cheap starter kit like a spitfire and put it together just to get familiar with working with plastic and paint etc. Then ,move onto something more complicated. Good luck and have a read through the many instructional threads on building techniques etc.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I'll kick off Dave. May take a few days or so to assemble a basic set of implements to get you on your merry way.
You'll obviously need some glue. I started with Tamiya extra Thin or Tet as you'll see it referred to.
A pair of nippers to remove the kit parts from its frame or Sprue.
Either some needle files or sanding boards. Use these to remove any excess plastic from when you remove parts from the sprue.
A set of clamps to hold parts together.
A selection of paint brushes.
Obviously - paints. Your kit should tell you what colours. You then have to decide upon acrylic, (water based) or enamels. Both have pro's and cons. Try searching on here to gauge an opinion.
A pair of tweezers to hold delicate/small parts.

Guys will be along I'm sure to add to your list.
But remember it's all about YOU enjoying the building. So whatever you choose/decide have fun.