Tamiya M4A3E2 "Jumbo" Sherman in 1:35

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking real nice to me,Ryan,good job with ,these,decals,;)

S

Stands24

@papa 695 @monica

Thanks guys!! I'm going all out on this one.

Here is a tiny update showing some of the wash details... I used some panel liner to accent the panels but I discovered a technique by accident/experimenting... I'm sure it's a well-known technique but this is how I found out. :D

I was rubbing some wash on the tool area when some rubbed onto the wooden handles... I was curious and rubbed it around with my brush after wiping off the excess. It made it look dirty but not slathered with muck! This was exactly what I needed for the tank! So I proceeded to dab many areas on the tank (and I don't mean the dance) and after they dried some, I spread the color around with my brush. This is the result! Of course, some stuff has changed by now so the pictures on my next update will look different.

slYeylf.jpg

mzvNpL0.jpg

And I'm not done with it, but what do you guys think? I'm putting on a winter wash after this, and then some more dirt.

S

Stands24

Big update!!

So I finished up the washing and got the winter coat on, then put some wash on spots of that.

First, a comparison between the freshly-glossed tank and the post-wash tank. The lower hull got a lot of it obviously. Not sure why the wash isn't appearing on the side with "First In Bastogne," but it's definitely there.

0ftD1hd.jpg

dXwyBHN.jpg

Here's a walkaround. I really like how the engine deck turned out.

B49WLCY.jpg

b09nUI8.jpg

a7w7oFR.jpg

ngE8hac.jpg

mhIQ8NY.jpg

Here's a shot of the tracks. I used Mig's track wash for the metal ends since the center parts of the tracks were rubber, at least outside. I am kinda bummed as I mentioned before that these tracks aren't actually the correct ones, but they will have to do!

dINYM8U.jpg

Then came the winter wash! I was especially worried about this part; I used a recipe of Mig's Light Dust pigment, flat white acrylic paint, and distilled water. I derived this from this thread, so credit goes to this guy who wrote it (Proud Kraut is the username): http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/126652-sherman-m4a3e2-jumbo-cobra-king/ I don't think mine is as refined and smooth as his. :P

So I experimented with the portions for a while until I got it just right. I used the inside of the lower hull as a testbed since it won't be seen on the finished model. Here it is after I finished experimenting with final oil washes the other night... Messy!

qsXhfZo.jpg

Finally got the mixture right and this is what it looked like.

KVCVqS3.jpg

So then I threw it all over the tank! Another walkaround. I don't particularly like the splotchy look but I couldn't figure out how to achieve a smoother finish. Like I said, the other guy did it much smoother than mine. :P I made sure to pay as close attention as I could to the historical photo; for example, the front of the tank is more white than the rest.

UTlwpF7.jpg

pJQWpyk.jpg

1t6iojT.jpg

d33Nata.jpg

sqeEIT5.jpg

p1Ncmgb.jpg

UQygraP.jpg

After that I debated on whether or not to give it more oil/dirt "stains" by way of washes. I again tested my theories on the inner hull (as shown above) and decided that it would work if I was very modest with how much wash I put on. As you could see in the testbed photo, the darker and stranger-looking spots were spots with a lot of wash put on. The more realistic and brown/green-ish spots were made with very little wash.

At this point I noticed the front of the tank has differing amounts of the winter coat on. The glacis plate is much lighter, while the transmission armor is much darker with less wash on it. I ended up addressing this in the following set of images; I unwittingly blended the color difference together by semi-cleverly applied stains!

S

Stands24

Here is where we are now! Another walkaround! I included detail shots of the turret too. I like how it all turned out; the front where the plank and box are supposed to go looks great!

BdkvHbo.jpg

NTQS9Rp.jpg

tGvNauN.jpg

lNSGNpL.jpg

CTclML5.jpg

V5JizVB.jpg

2gbMaxp.jpg

oym3DoC.jpg

555O0Jx.jpg

a2t8wb1.jpg

SeRYnfV.jpg

So that's all for now. c: We are close to the end and I have like FIVE DAYS left to finish it!! D: I have to add mud, detail the tracks with a thinner version of that winter wash, make some minor corrections, and finally a matte finish. Wish me luck!

S

Stands24

So an update/finish!! I applied the mud in all necessary places. To do this, I first lightly applied basic Elmer's glue to the surface...

NDP2Ng6.jpg

Then I dabbed and spread the mud on as needed. I made sure to have higher buildup on the "busy" areas like where the tracks don't normally touch. Finally, I dabbed white paint in random areas to make it look like snow mixed in with the mud/dirt. Here are some close-ups of a side.

j2bvidQ.jpg

sGHPFFe.jpg

Now for full views of one side so y'all can see underneath the sponson too. Also two shots of the underside of the drive wheel guard, whatever it's called. One shows the mud as it is wet and drying, the other is after it dried with paint applied.

7NEGwcS.jpg

s6LnE4C.jpg

FlXzHTM.jpg

E0eOK3g.jpg

Then came time for the underside of the hull, and a bit of the transmission armor.

WBhJ3xo.jpg

ygdE1Sr.jpg

Last was the rear plate, and it turned out pretty well!

xAIOtFB.jpg

The tracks also got some love but like the paint and stuff, it will come off after a while.

fAEHTpt.jpg

g8Hx7Pr.jpg

Put it all together, and what to we have? (:

Cm2kY6e.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
lo,nice work,real do like the weathering on this one,very nice,;)

S

Stands24

Will post an update when I get home with the "photoshoot" of the finished model. :P It has better lighting and more angles.

S

Stands24

Here we are, the final photoshoot. I couldn't be happier with how this all turned out for my SECOND model!!

XaLbEGK.jpg

VA9leEb.jpg

6R757dM.jpg
VsyDnLo.jpg

XJTieQM.jpg
JdTZJvn.jpg

uAqXJux.jpg
s47zwfI.jpg

qfVHaA0.jpg
ONj6X4d.jpg
5RiUrZ4.jpg

hTMaLfN.jpg
OGHrCTi.jpg

I'll save perhaps my favorite shot for last. It's a comparison between my Cobra King and the original. I had in mind to weather it further than it appears this picture to represent the tank as it might have been some time after the picture was taken. I am still stunned by how similar they look. c:

ROeeVYk.jpg

A BIG thank you to all who followed this, gave feedback, support, and all that good stuff. I really do appreciate it. As a beginning modeler, it means a lot! Thank you!!! :D

My next project is a 1:35 Jagdtiger with the fictional 128mm PaK80 L/66, a fairly new Dragon release. However if new parts arrive for my Panther II, I will finish that instead. Stay tuned for my name in the posts! :D

First Name
Alex
Tha's an excellent job, I've never done a tank before but you have inspired me to try one out. I would say your model is worth putting in a nice display box with a textured surface, you just need something like a bit of old laminate floor cut to size or a thin piece of wood to layer on some ground texture, that would really add an extra effect to the model, since its winter camo, it shouldn't be too difficult to create a snowy surface for it to rest on. Don't use real snow ...that melts lol

S

Stands24

Tha's an excellent job, I've never done a tank before but you have inspired me to try one out. I would say your model is worth putting in a nice display box with a textured surface, you just need something like a bit of old laminate floor cut to size or a thin piece of wood to layer on some ground texture, that would really add an extra effect to the model, since its winter camo, it shouldn't be too difficult to create a snowy surface for it to rest on. Don't use real snow ...that melts lol

Thanks so much!! :D I'm happy to have inspired someone. I'm also glad it seems I did all the techniques right to create a well-detailed model; I was scared at first!

I will have to do that box/platform later as this model is currently at my parents' next house. I definitely wanted to do thay but I didn't have time before Christmas. O: