Tamiya Medium Grey Drying Strangely

• Thread starter Deleted member 4203
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4203

Hi everyone,

I am currently making the Airfix BAe Nimrod kit and when painting the underside of the plane with Tamiya Medium Grey XF20 the colour doesn't come out one shade of grey anymore, it appears to have darker streaks in it; which is unusual because it wasn't doing it before. Any tips on how to fix this would be great :confused: :D

(Also, I've cleaned my brush using thinners and it is still drying the same way)

Thanks,

Blair

View attachment 122164

View attachment 122165

image.jpg

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Hi everyone,
I am currently making the Airfix BAe Nimrod kit and when painting the underside of the plane with Tamiya Medium Grey XF20 the colour doesn't come out one shade of grey anymore, it appears to have darker streaks in it; which is unusual because it wasn't doing it before. Any tips on how to fix this would be great :confused: :D

(Also, I've cleaned my brush using thinners and it is still drying the same way)

Thanks,

Blair

View attachment 133998View attachment 133999
Good to see another mimrod being built. Got any more pictures?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Sounds like it hasn't mixed properly, so carrier and pigment have slightly separated, always keep mixing.

Nice Nimrod, like it so far.

D

Deleted member 4203

\ said:
Sounds like it hasn't mixed properly, so carrier and pigment have slightly separated, always keep mixing.
Nice Nimrod, like it so far.
Thanks Si, that's helpful advice :D :smiling3:

L

Laurie

Blair I am not an expert on this paint by any means. But I have read many times

that unless you are very clever brushing Tamiya is not a good idea.

Put into your browser search Hand brushing Tamiya paint. It seems to be an art.

Whether this is your problem I do not know Blair.

Just a thought have you tried Vallejo Model Paint. Made for hand painting and

you can get great results. Also Model Air. Although made for airbrushing it is

very good for hand brushing.

Another great advantage is the 100s of colours in each form.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 4203

\ said:
Blair I am not an expert on this paint by any means. But I have read many times
that unless you are very clever brushing Tamiya is not a good idea.

Put into your browser search Hand brushing Tamiya paint. It seems to be an art.

Whether this is your problem I do not know Blair.

Just a thought have you tried Vallejo Model Paint. Made for hand painting and

you can get great results. Also Model Air. Although made for airbrushing it is

very good for hand brushing.

Another great advantage is the 100s of colours in each form.

Laurie
Sounds like a good idea Laurie, I've seen some Vallejo at the shop but never thought to try :confused: :smiling3: I've used Tamiya on many models and the results have been good on the majority of occasions, but I see why it would be better to airbrush it, considering it is so thin and easy to clean out of your tools. :D I think the Nimrod may be an isolated occurance though, but I'm not certain. :confused: :D Thanks for the advice and information Laurie :D :smiling3: ;)

J

John Rixon

Looks like brush strokes to me, rather than a pigment issue. There are many opinions about Tamiya paints when brushed, and some of them are true! However, if you have a large collection of the stuff, the last thing you want to hear is that you can't brush paint with it! In short, you can, but there's a technique!! Despite advice from the manufacturers, I'd avoid thinning it with Tamiya's thinners. I'd use water, and preferably bottled water, as it's usually soft water and has fewer bits of limescale etc in it. The problem with the thinners is that it makes the paint pretty aggressive for multiple coats, and multiple coats are a necessity. The problem being you get, at most, two passes with the brush (and light ones, at that) before the thinners in the paint start softening the previous coat! If you thin with water, this will be all but cured, although a light touch is still recommended. First 2 coats will look dreadful and fill you with self loathing:eek:, but almost magically, it soon starts to look fine, and you can get a superb finish with patience and practise. Remember, with very thin paint, keep an eye open for filled up panel lines etc. The old Plastic Bottle is what sorted it for me. No worrying about spoiling an expensive kit, practise on a bottle and you'll have the formula spot on after a few goes.

I have to come clean and admit that other Acrylics are easier, but I'm just debunking the myth that you can't brush paint with the stuff, and if you hunt around the electric internet, you'll find many extraordinary examples to back this up.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Could well be brush strokes, depends on the type of brush used. As Laurie has pointed out, Tamiya paint to be brushed can be a pain.

As John also points out, I brush paint with acrylics and water down as needed using bottled water.

Could be: Pigment has separated due to not mixing enough. Thick paint and paint brush marks. Try thinning and use a good quality brush.

D

dubster72

\ said:
This is still work in progress, but hand brushed with Tamiya paints. Not put up as one of the aforementioned extraordinary examples, but just to illustrate my point!
View attachment 134022
That's brush painted with Tamiya acrylics?????

I can't swear in admiration on here John, but that's some of the best painting I've ever seen!

J

John Rixon

Ha ha, steady Patrick, it's not that good, remember its an iPhone pic, bright daylight reveals its flaws, but, the bloke I'm building it for thinks its the nuts! To be honest, I made it difficult for myself as I wanted to cut back on my airbrush habit - now I have time on my side, I find hand painting so much more satisfying, and I make models for the pure pleasure, not to make museum perfection! I had the colours (I bought a load when I first started and it seems a waste not to use them) and my firs build (Tamiya Universal Carrier) was painted this way, after a few Bottle Paint jobs for practise. Also, I love building the models, and I tend to do the complete build, then paint them. Painting a set of wire cutters then super-glueing them to a pre painted model just doesn't do it for me, I do use Cyano for PE etc, but I hate it! Had too many disasters with it:mad: . Thanks all the same though!!!

D

Deleted member 4203

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice :D . I think I may keep the Nimrod as it is because it may be a case of accidental weathering (or so it looks) ;) :P . It should be finished by tonight and I'll make a thread showing it :D ;) :smiling3: Thanks again :smiling3:

D

Dave1973

Thats brush strokes by the looks of it,

Anything that size i just airbrush, as hand painting it is a chore. Although when i paint by brush, i use Acrylic brushes with fine bristles. I got them from hobbycraft, five flat brushes, and three round, were quite expensive, (£35 iirc) but work really well.

I keep them separate from my enamel brushes for obvious reasons.

Id use some 600 wet/dry paper and flatten the paint, and then try a new brush, mix the tamiya well, and try again.