Tamiya Nissan Skyline R34

M

-Matt-

Hello :smiling3:

I'm still very new here (this is my first post), just been lurking a little bit and learning things.

Recently got back into modelling (sort of, my last was when I was perhaps about 10 years old) and so I'm trying hard to do this properly and carefully.

I bought this kit just before Christmas (was meant to be doing Christmas shopping) and I've spent an hour or so after work, just doing little bits here and there.

I'm not very good at commentary, but hopefully these pics are in the right order. I kept forgetting to take pictures so there are steps missing..

Thanks for reading

-Matt-

Box.jpg

ChassisUnderNoWheel.jpg

ChassisNoWheel.jpg

InteriorHalf.jpg

RollingChassis.jpg

ChassisWeathered.jpg

BodyworkPainted.jpg

D

dubster72

I don't usually make cars (I could never get that flawless finish they need), but I've been tempted by this kit a few times on eBay.

Look forward to seeing more of this one Matt

Cheers

Patrick

M

Mark P

Hi Matt, I ordered the same kit last night but the nismo! Looking very good so far mate ;)

M

-Matt-

Thank you for the warm welcome and kind comments :smiling3:

I did a little bit today, but no picture. I spent yesterday afternoon turning a £10 Gumtree table into something more usable (built a small shelving thing and put my paintbox on top) so I'm sure that will feature at some time soon.

Random point, don't know if anyone has thought of it, but thought I would share;

The footwell carpets are made of bits of a pair of tights. The fabric seems to give the right scale weave :smiling3:

Thanks

-Matt-

M

-Matt-

Oop, double post!

Right anyway, finally got round to doing some to this this week, only a small update really, just been nipping in the spare room at half an hour an evening and doing a little bit here and there.

First is my new table setup. Much neater and usable.

Others are the shell being built up.

I've stupidly managed to get sticky glue fingers on the bonnet so I have that to sort out.

My camera flash doesn't seem to like the metallic paint or the clear coat o_O

-Matt-

NewDeskOverView.jpg

FrontShell.jpg

RearShell.jpg

FrontShellWSpoiler.jpg

P

PabsTheGeek

Nicely looking!. Small tip, use a some thin white paper over the flash, it will soften the light and should get less of a bounce off the paint.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi matt, that is coming along very nicely, keep going the way you are, it's obviously working.

S

stuart.c.82

Very impressive... Not even recived my 1st kit yet and I'm already contemplating the 2nd. LOL.

Did you airbrush the body work? If yes how did you get on with your 1st time airbrushing (if this is your 1st time of course) was it easier than you thought or harder?

M

-Matt-

\ said:
Nicely looking!. Small tip, use a some thin white paper over the flash, it will soften the light and should get less of a bounce off the paint.
I'm clearly an idiot and forgot about this :P

Photography is another hobby of mine, and it's not often I photograph objects like this (I'm more countryside scenic sorts of things with a little mix of messing about with long exposures and light paintings) but when I do try and photo objects I usually have an off camera flash and bounce it off the ceiling. Thank you anyway heh.

Stuart: I've used an airbrush a long time ago which I still have, a suction-fed one with a 25ltr comp but I didn't really use it for much and it ended up getting broken sadly.

It did feel a bit daunting and tricky but the one you see in the picture is a cheapy one off eBay, £30 and came with the little grey compressor. It's touted as being for nail art or cake decorations and such, but it works fantastically for what I want. Granted I'll only really be using it for blocking out colour/primer, and a diluted paint for weathering (for now!) as I prefer to take my time and carefully brush stuff.

The shell was done from a rattle can, its a Subaru colour, blue pearl metallic I think its called because it's the closest match I had to the proper Skyline blue.

Eeek long post

Thanks

-Matt-

M

-Matt-

Oh dear, nearly a month since I last put anything up.

Oops.

I've done more on the car, but today I've managed to get some time to start on the base for it.

Pictures show the piece of wood that will be the kerb, the modrock after being put on.

The plywood having been painted and then the gravel effect put on, and a few tester shots with things in place. :smiling3:

Thanks

-Matt-

SettingUpKerb.jpg

ModRockKerb.jpg

BoardBeforeGravel.jpg

GravelExcess.jpg

GravelWithKerbTest.jpg

TesterOnGravel.jpg

First Name
Marc
Can't believe I missed this post, Welcome to our forum and the nissan looks great. Love the stand.

D

Deleted member 3568

More superb work, very nice, I love, love, love that colour.

M

-Matt-

Thank you Marc and Ken!

Ken, the colour is Subaru 14L. It's actually the can of touch up paint I got for my car haha.

This post is basically about the base. The mod rock didn't work as well as it's impossible to sand without the fibres coming through so I've started again.

As usual the pictures do the talking better.

First, with car body filler.

Then sanded and with lines pencilled in

then the lines carved out

after that primed and layers of paint and baking powder (for the grain/grittiness) and so on in various different coats and washes.

Last few were my attempt to seal the gravel chips in as they brushed off a little easier than I wanted.

I mixed up 50/50 PVA and water, and then a squirt of grey paint (Vallejo).

Last pic is the dried result.

Base is currently had another wash and a fine speckley mist from a spray can and is drying :smiling3:

Thanks for looking

-Matt-

Pave1.jpg

Pave2.jpg

Pave3.jpg

Pave4.jpg

Pave5.jpg

Pave6.jpg

Pave7.jpg

Pave8.jpg

Pave9.jpg

BasePaint.jpg