Tamiya primer in spray: normal or fine ?

First Name
Jean
Hello,

My local shop sells both. I have purchased the normal one for the 1/350 ship I'm presently building because... that's the one I have used before. After application (3 light coats), it looks a little coarse to me.

Is there any benefit in using the fine one ? For what kind of application would it be suitable over the normal one ? I tried to find a youtube video explaining the difference between both, but couldn't find.
I presume the fine one will be... well finer so this means it will retain more of the finer details ? In which case, the question should be, why should I use the normal one ?

- Jean.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
By normal, I assume you mean the grey one? If so, try spraying slightly closer to the model. Graininess occurs if the primer starts to dry before it hits the surface. Otherwise the grey one is absolutely fine, actually one of my favourite primers.

As to the fine white one, I am sworn off that. I found it wears off in fine powder form when the model is handled during subsequent work, contaminating and adversely affecting subsequent paintwork. Others may have different opinions, but that’s my take on it.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I'm a fan of the grey, I tend to go for reasonable wet coat,not to heavy as to cause runs obviously,no problem with it covering any details.

First Name
Jean
Tim, apologies I should have been clearer. Both are grey, but one can says Fine, and the other... nothing. My shop has both.
See below pictures I found from the interweb of what they sell.

I also realise just now that the normal one (left) says GRAY, the fine one on the right says LIGHT GRAY.

So ok they should be of slightly difference color but my question is more about the consistency of the primer inside.

NOTFINEJPG.jpgFINEJPG.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The only fine one I’ve used was white, and I didn’t like it. Not used the light grey but I don’t see why it would be a lot different.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
I currently have the fine in grey and red oxide (not sure if this is labelled fine) and find they both provide a great smooth application and are both extremely durable.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Forgot to say though, I don’t use it straight from the can. I decanted it to a bottle and put it through the airbrush using MLT as thinner.

First Name
Jean
Thanks guys, appreciated. Looks like I may need to experiment a little bit. I think you're right Tim I think the graininess comes from the primer drying before reaching the model when spraying. It makes sense. I do spray at a good distance to avoid the primer to drip. I will try closer.

Other question, following Tim's above post: I also have some primer in bottle, see below, which I use for smaller pieces. if I apply it with a normal brush on small parts, am I supposed it to dilute it with thinner ? I find it very thick...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry Jean, no idea. I’ve never seen that in the UK.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Thanks guys, appreciated. Looks like I may need to experiment a little bit. I think you're right Tim I think the graininess comes from the primer drying before reaching the model when spraying. It makes sense. I do spray at a good distance to avoid the primer to drip. I will try closer.

Other question, following Tim's above post: I also have some primer in bottle, see below, which I use for smaller pieces. if I apply it with a normal brush on small parts, am I supposed it to dilute it with thinner ? I find it very thick...
As Tim stated, never seen that here in the UK but I would imagine thinned with Tamiya X-20A or even their laquer thinner (yellow lid) it would work well through an airbrush