Tamiya sdkfz 250/3

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I did it as Rommels Greif. Sadly everything got lost when we moved over from MM. This was rather annoying as I did a lot of research on the radio sets which would have been handy for you. As for the the finished colour I did it Panzergrau with a sand/mud slurry mix on top.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Brad, If by chance you have this sitting in your stash, it has two of the larger radios in the kit.
20181206_204137.jpg
FOR DISCUSSION ONLY.

If you can hold off for about a week, I can mould them for you.
Cheers,
Mike.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I did it as Rommels Greif. […] As for the the finished colour I did it Panzergrau with a sand/mud slurry mix on top.
Purists should note that that’s not accurate for Greif (note spelling — not you, Steve :smiling3:). Tamiya’s figures are based on a series of photos of the real thing, like this one:

Rommels_SdKfz_250-3_Greif.jpg

You can clearly see that the name goes over the camouflage pattern, and nobody would paint over mud camo. Instead, this indicates the vehicle is painted according to regulations, namely either RAL 8000 Grünbraun (green-brown) with about one-third covered in soft-edged blotches of RAL 7008 Khakigrau (khaki grey), or RAL 8020 Gelbbraun (yellow-brown) with similar blotches of RAL 7027 Sandgrau (sand grey). The former applied until April 1942, the latter from then; I’m not sure when the above photo was taken, but I would guess the vehicle is in Gelbbraun/Sandgrau — with a heavy layer of dust over all of it, of course.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Purists should note that that’s not accurate for Greif (note spelling — not you, Steve :smiling3:). Tamiya’s figures are based on a series of photos of the real thing, like this one:

Rommels_SdKfz_250-3_Greif.jpg

You can clearly see that the name goes over the camouflage pattern, and nobody would paint over mud camo. Instead, this indicates the vehicle is painted according to regulations, namely either RAL 8000 Grünbraun (green-brown) with about one-third covered in soft-edged blotches of RAL 7008 Khakigrau (khaki grey), or RAL 8020 Gelbbraun (yellow-brown) with similar blotches of RAL 7027 Sandgrau (sand grey). The former applied until April 1942, the latter from then; I’m not sure when the above photo was taken, but I would guess the vehicle is in Gelbbraun/Sandgrau — with a heavy layer of dust over all of it, of course.
Jakko,
Many thanks for the correction on the spelling, I can put my mistake down to old age, lack of research and far too much J Daniels :tongue-out3:. Mike.

B

Brad9826

Thanks Mike, that's awefully grand of you, but please don't put yourself out, only do if you want,.. (You're my secret radio man)...:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Thanks Mike, that's awefully grand of you, but please don't put yourself out, only do if you want,.. (You're my secret radio man)...:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Not a problem, pm me your details and I will get them on the go tomorrow.
Cheers, Mike.

B

Brad9826

Jakko,
I'm same as Mike with spelling but mines not due to liquids, however age does creep in somewhere.., but on a part serious note , could you be aware that some of us have certain difficulties in certain areas , cheers anyway for the input and info on subjects posted , always interesting.:thumb2:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Brad
Taking a seat and watching I’m like Si didn’t know Tamiya made this one

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Brad, taking a seat with the rest of the crew to follow along,,, I really enjoy building the 250’s and look forward to see this one of yours.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Brad, I'll follow this if you don't mind. I have several in the stash in '87 scale. I'm particularly interested in the interior details so nice clear photos if you please. I'll just have a seat with John, Paul, Ringo & George Si and Steve.
Cheers, Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on the paint scheme Jakko. It came over painted Panzergrau with Grief in white on the side similar to the other two that Rommel used - Adler and Igel. Then they were covered in a slurry of sand and mud to cover up as much of the Panzergrau as possible. Over time in the harshness of the desert this would bake dry and then wear away overtime giving the look seen in the photos.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on the paint scheme Jakko. It came over painted Panzergrau with Grief in white on the side similar to the other two that Rommel used - Adler and Igel. Then they were covered in a slurry of sand and mud to cover up as much of the Panzergrau as possible.
Do you have references that prove this? Not that I’m saying you’re wrong, but I find it somewhat difficult to believe that they would apply mud so neatly that the name remained perfectly visible as if it were painted over the mud.