Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Tamiya Spitfire Vb. 1/48

Not so much of a build but I would like to share whats left. I think we have had enough of air craft builds the last few days!!!

The group build is directly responsible for this. Sort of woke a dormant urge to get back into wing things!

Right then. The kit is built but still need to put the rest of the sticky out bits; landing gear etc. The canopy is masked and just needs a squirt of paint.

I choose to mask the camo on this one and its the first time I tried this way. I normally would paint the ground colour, then draw the camo in and paint it free hand!

Though putting all the maskes on is a total pain and takes forever to gat things lined up, I think the result is worth it.

Not putting the pilot in, and have opened the drop door so you can see a bit better into the cock-pit...

Heres a couple of photos. Comments are welcome.

Paint wise its a real mix. Under surfaces are Vallejo Sky Grey. Camo is WEM Colorcoat Ocean Grey with Humbrol dark green 130!!!

View attachment 23342

View attachment 23343

View attachment 23344

View attachment 23345

View attachment 23346

23042010476..jpg

23042010477..jpg

23042010478..jpg

19042010472..jpg

19042010475..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
OK question time. Tamiya two part Decals. Whats that all about? Any one care to comment as to they are good, bad, better, worse, that the "all-in-one" type.

I can only see twice the work and decals twice as thick. Is it an attempt a better quality colours?

Just dont get it. Some one please enlighten me.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Not sure what you mean Ian. Is it the red dot separate for the roundels? If so, I asked the same question. It is, apparently to ensure that it goes in the centre, the idea being that if it prints out of register, there is nothing you can do about it. However, the thinking is that you are in a better position to centre them manually. Have to say I found it quite tricky especially as on red dot moved as I put Microsol on (yes I know that I should have let it dried more, if not fully). Not uncommon though with the 'better' decals even the stars on US markings come separate on some sets. Have to say though that on my Revell Spitfire, you cannot tell tat the red dot was separate now its on, no step or anything.

Not sure if there is a more technical reason than that.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Its actually the white. For each roundel and the tail markings there is a full size white 'spot' to be applied first. Then you put the coloured marings over it. Coloured as in red and blue, 'cause the white part is actually transparent!!!

I have since read that it might be a step to try prevent the see thoughness (is that even a word?) of the white ink on decals. Why they just didnt print the whole thing on a white base I do not know. What the hay!

Ian M

B

Bojo

Like the way you did the camo. I've always thought of just doing it free hand. But the way you do leaves a lot less risk of error.

N

noble

This is looking real good so far is it going in a diorama or on the shelf when finished, the camouflage looks good. Speaking of decals i just finished a tamiya bf109 the pics are in the planes section and i found that they have tarted issuing swastikas fortheir kits again i haven't seen swastikas in a kit in many years.

Keep up the excellent work look forward to seeing the finished pics of this.

scott

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Graham's hit the nail on the head. It is to prevent this kind of thing:

Doesn't matter how careful you are with the blue dot,the other colours are so out of register (i.e.alignment) that the decals are useless.

Nice job on the camo by the way. I find that the time an effort spent masking does pay off,as it has for you.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks guys. I must admit I'm rether chuffed with it to!

Scott, at the moment the plan is just to plonk it on a base with a bit of grass and or concret. The kit did come with some rather nice ICM figures, but dude there small! I still get stumped by 1/35 scale! One day when all my fingers are working I might give them a go.

Jep, masking does pay. All I've to do now is find an easy way of getting the maskes to match up. It's one thing that Tamiya give you a to scale top, bottom, left and right side but they dont actually meet up once you have cut them out and put them in place. So if you have any good tips on that front....

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just spent the evening putting the stencil markings on! Are they just tiny or what! Some of the panel detail has gotten eaten by the decals, as I suspected it would by putting in effect two decals over each other. Copius amounts of micro sol helped but a few of them are still a bit naff.

Seams like a few (most of) the stencils are silvering on me too. So more Klear next time. Any way I'm Happy so far.

I'm off to bed soon so I'll post some piccies later.

G'night!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Must admit I have stopped putting all the stencils on, there are far too many and though the aircraft may have them leaving the factory, I don't think some of the smaller ones get re-done if overpainted or worn off. If you look at the pictures of the real thing, I doubt you will see may unless the pic is a restoration job. It is a long drawn out process on some kits.

B

backonthecase

\ said:
Its actually the white. For each roundel and the tail markings there is a full size white 'spot' to be applied first. Then you put the coloured marings over it. Coloured as in red and blue, 'cause the white part is actually transparent!!! I have since read that it might be a step to try prevent the see thoughness (is that even a word?) of the white ink on decals. Why they just didnt print the whole thing on a white base I do not know. What the hay!

Ian M
Ian, I believe the white base is to increase the opaqueness of the roundel. I take it you mean there's a white decal then the rounder on top of that? It's so that the demarcation line in the camo does not show through and it's uniform. It can be more of an issue when the roundel is all one colour, i.e. Japanese Hinomarus

HTH

Stuart

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I understand what you are saying Stuart, I just dont understand why they dont just do the whole decal on a white ground. Surly the result would be the same; It would be easier to put in place and would possibly be thinner: Only one carrier film. OK the result is good but I think I will just paint them next time as I did on the GB Focke Wulfe.

Time for a squirt of Klear.

Ian M

B

backonthecase

I agree, logic would dictate that it would not be any thinner as you have white plus carrier film, plus blue/red plus carrier film... Ah well if the result's good then it's all hunky dory - don't forget the pics ;)

Stuart

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
F

Fenlander

That looks stunning Ian. Gorgeous paintwork and very well detailed. You have certainly got the decals OK to, very, very nice work.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ok this bird has flown. Landing soon in the Planes section.

Thanks for the feed back.

Ian M