TAMIYA SU 76 WW2

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi all, having finished the Sturm I decided to drop on to this. The Tamiya version of the SU 76 SPG.

_MG_3984.JPG

_MG_3988.JPG

Usual sprue shots.

_MG_3989.JPG
_MG_3990.JPG_MG_3991.JPG_MG_3992.JPG
Interestly the hull is not in one piece.
To go with this Iv'e gone for .

_MG_3986.JPG
Doesn't that look fun ! I have a love hate with PE, hopefully this time it will be love. Also ......

_MG_3987.JPG

A brief history for those of you still looking...:surprised::smiling2:.

After the invasion of the Soviet Union on that fateful day of June 1941 the Russians were caught unaware and suffered appalling losses of men and material. Action was required quickly to haul to stem of the German Panzer, hurriedly the Russians mounted the Zis76.2 3 " Field gun upon the T70 chassis. The 76.2 field gun was already in great production and the T70 was a natural choice. The experimental version was the OSU-76. It soon became apparent that the additional weight was going to need some modifications. The chassis was widened and two additional wheels were added, so the SU 76 M was born.There was a version with an armoured top , but was inn a limited production
Soon after the initial production it became apparent that it was underpowered, the single engine was removed and a pair of GAZ 203 series engines were fitted. This of course proved a difficult for the driver having to control 2 engines, but gave the power needed. The gun was soon moved to the lefty hand side rather than in the centre.
Poor thickness of armour provided little protection and at only 25mm it soon became nicknamed by the crews as the " The Little Bit*h" There was a top cover but this did little to protect the crew, but had avantages in communication between crews. . In success it had a good rate of knocking out the Panther and other lesser German armour. As the tide of war turned the gun was deemed to be less of an advantage against German armour and it's role became one of infantry support. Some were altered by having the gun removed and they became ammunition carriers. In true Soviet manor they did what they could to combat the German threat.

A few facts and figures

Crew of 4.

5 Meters in length.

2.7 meters in width.

2.1 meters in hight.

11 tons in weight

2 x 6 cylinder Petrol Engines developing 138 hp each.

45 kms per hr Thought they had unfortunately light weight shock absorbers resulting in engine failures and transmission problems.

Armament was one 76.2 mm Zis -3 L41 Gun, with 62 rounds of AP and APCR hollow charge projectiles. Some were armed with a 122mm Howitzer M 30.

1 x 7.62 mm machine gun.

Total amount built approx 14000.

Built by GAZ at the Gorkovsky Plant. The plant at Gorky was about 400 ks from Moscow. An Interesting factoid is that the Luftwaffe completely destroyed the plant and it was rebuilt in a 100 days. Just shows the determination of people when faced with war.

Do hope you will tag along, lets have some fun, and a good build.There was talk of having two of these models, one taking ammo from a disabled one, we will see. Plenty of banter from the Rabble is expected.

Ok . seating and refreshments will be available, seats through normal channels " Mrs Jones's Ticket Masters " Catering by Steve Jones and Allen Dewire.
There is a no smoking ban in force. All tickets to be pain for in full before entry. No spitting, swearing or other profanities. Management's decision is final.

Dzhon Racesky

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi John all the b....y doughnuts have gone so suppose biscuits will do :rolling: good luck with the build and are there any dio's planned :thinking:.
Pete.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Budge up guys. Room for a large one. Good luck mate. Its going to be a corker. Now what camo pattern could you use??:smiling2::thumb2:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Budge up guys. Room for a large one. Good luck mate. Its going to be a corker. Now what camo pattern could you use??:smiling2::thumb2:
Definitely digital Steve:smiling5:
Well, now the rabble is here...the build may commence :smiling4:

Look forward to this John. If you remember I did a 1:72 version a while back and really wanted to try attacking a bigger one. I shall be taking notes sir....please continue when your ready:nerd:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
JR
Steve punched my ticket I brought jelly for the biscuits if PaulE shows up he’s always about the jelly. I’ll sit in a back row you know I’m very tall so everybody can see this interesting build. Thanks for the history on this build I never seen one of these before. Good luck my friend

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I’m sure they have plenty biscuits. When he gets to that PE you will need a biscuit a peanut will not cut it.

Scottie. keep me posted on the small stuff or if you smell plastic burning

John. I hope you’re on your meds heavy when you do that PE

Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I'm in. :smiling3:

Good luck with in John, some of that PE is incredibly fiddly (the clips for the ammunition rack in particular) but well worth it in the end.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Count me in I will squeeze down the front before the rabble turn up and eat all the biscuits
Paul....glad to have your company.

Hi John
Front row please. I'll sit next to Scottie. He's not too disruptive unlike some of the rabble your builds attract.
Jim
Jim...... Another welcome gent, sorry about some members, they do get a bit rowdy at times.
Biscuits? I'm in
Mick......,hi Steve has a never ending supply so you should be OK.
.. I'm in with Belgian Beer and cheese...
Well done Greg......... Glad to see you, and with some vittles.
Hi John all the b....y doughnuts have gone so suppose biscuits will do :rolling: good luck with the build and are there any dio's planned :thinking:.
Pete.

Fear not Pete....... Steve has been on a donut making course, slightly different from normal as they have a camo pattern.
Steve ... I knew this question would appear, :smiling:
Well I don't think it will need one, still undecided as to the placing. See below.
Definitely digital Steve:smiling5:
Well, now the rabble is here...the build may commence :smiling4:

Look forward to this John. If you remember I did a 1:72 version a while back and really wanted to try attacking a bigger one. I shall be taking notes sir....please continue when your ready:nerd:
Si.......Always welcome, and good to have you along, you may be called on for tips !
Got room for another member of the rabble? In the cheap seats as usual...…..:rolling:
Graeme...... I've moved you to the front row this time. Enjoy !
JR
Steve punched my ticket I brought jelly for the biscuits if PaulE shows up he’s always about the jelly. I’ll sit in a back row you know I’m very tall so everybody can see this interesting build. Thanks for the history on this build I never seen one of these before. Good luck my friend
Lee....... Glad you could make it, is it still snowing there? Comfy seat at the back with foot rests.
Just throw me the occasional peanut John. Looking forward to this.
Hi Peter...... Can you and Jim keep the rabble in order please. Steve has some nice mince pies by the way.
Peter. I’m sure they have plenty biscuits. When he gets to that PE you will need a biscuit a peanut will not cut it.

Scottie. keep me posted on the small stuff or if you smell plastic burning

John. I hope you’re on your meds heavy when you do that PE
I have no fear of PE !!!!! :smiling2::smiling2:
I'm in. :smiling3:

Good luck with in John, some of that PE is incredibly fiddly (the clips for the ammunition rack in particular) but well worth it in the end.
Thanks Bob....... I did have a look and thought #*"*#**$$ hell. But as I said to Pete I have no fear.
If I take my time, and try to understand the instructions before doing any bending I might have damned good try. With the magnifying glasses it will be better than before, the StuG I did some years back I just couldn't see the small bits.

Nice to see so many faces, it's going to help keep the mojo high. I've seen 2 metal barrels, one from Aber at around £ 12 something and another from RB, this was a lot cheaper. Has anyone esp Bob used any of these.
Earlier I mentioned about a setting, had thought about using my second SU as well, one in the ditch, and the second stopping to take their ammo. Grass, trees and leaves etc base. The other was a street fighting dio, SU dug in to a building supporting infantry. Plenty of rubble, damage and bricks ! Let's have some ideas please.Nothing started yet, I have looked at the pe, as some plastic parts need to be removed and I don't want find later that after gluing I've got to remove something.
John

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
If you want a real challenge go for option one but with snow on the ground and winter camo on vehicles and figures

Aber barrels are far superior in detailing to RB ones and if its only £12 that's quite cheap. Not seen an SU one so cant comment on exact differences

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If you want a real challenge go for option one but with snow on the ground and winter camo on vehicles and figures

Aber barrels are far superior in detailing to RB ones and if its only £12 that's quite cheap. Not seen an SU one so cant comment on exact differences
Thanks for the heads up on the barrels Steve.
Now I've often thought about a winter scene.
I'd rather fancy a winter street scene though !
John.
So now we have .
A : 2 SUs. in the summer.
B : 2 SUs. In the winter, c/w winter camp.
C : 1 SU. In winter in a street scene in winter camp.
Voting is open .
Steve do you dream of camo by any chance, I dread to think what you wall paper pattern is like!!
John.

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Missed the end of the last one and the start of this one :rolling:

C - another building and more bricks with snow :thumb2:

I recommend Precision Ice & Snow for the snow - they do a kit with snow powders, wash, shaker sieve