Tank track sag

D

Dave1973

on a few builds ive seen where the rubber band tracks are used, the modeller has managed to create sag, especially between the upper guide wheels.

How is this done? I have not managed yet with the rubber band tracks, as they always seem tight

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
When the tanke is built and painted just put some superglue on the top wheels and put some cotton buds in between the top of the track and the tank so the track sags and leave it over night

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yeah! Some kits I've tried to build, I can't get them to fit without breaking either the drive wheel or idler wheel - or both! I've no idea why they're made so tight. Even with the minimal sag seen on some tanks, surely moulding an extra link into the track length wouldn't spoil the appearance or look out of place.

D

dubster72

Always test fit vinyl tracks first Dave. It's no good adding sag only to find the tracks won't join! Not all manufacturers thought about sag & a lot of vinyl tracks are tight as a Tory MP!

Pop them in hot (not boiling) water before attaching to get as much expansion as possible. I then superglue the track to one return roller. Pop a piece of sponge twixt track & upper hull to create the sag & superglue to the next roller ...continue until done.

The sponge is very useful with German tanks where there's often a fair gap between the hull sponson/fender & the tracks.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
agree with both the above,great ways of doing it,

as I did a very very silly thing,and had the water to hot,well you guess it,turned in to a rubber serpent,:confused::oops::rolleyes:

and I would also like how to know ,how to use the hot water,? ;) if its a ouch when you put in your finger or that's nice :rolleyes: ?

what I do is if its a hot day leave in a sunny stop so they heat up some,

then much the same as both above,or use a pin from inside the hull,across the track to pull it down,

maybe of some help, ;)

P

Piakio

Hi,I tried it with a vinyl and pins through the town and this is the result, I tried it with superglue , but ended peeling

Greetings

JSU-152 006.jpg

JSU-152 007.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that's a good go at it,to me,all I see wrong is the last one,is too much of a sage,

the one close to the drive wheel,

if it was about half ,like the rest would be spot on,I think, ;)

N

noble

Hi Dave I use 5 minute epoxy resin, mix it up apply it to the wheels and the track,push the track onto the wheels and push in some screwed up tin foil to hold them in place.

Scott

J

John Rixon

\ said:
When the tanke is built and painted just put some superglue on the top wheels and put some cotton buds in between the top of the track and the tank so the track sags and leave it over night
Hah! Exactly how I did it on my Panzer iii, and it works brilliantly!

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

On a King Tiger I did I used pins poked through the hull side from the inside. I did them by angling them up slightly and right about the level of where the track will be after the sag. Install the track, push the track down and bend the pin level. Done correctly, the pin will rest in between links and be virtually invisible after paint and weathering. And if there are side skirts it will be nigh on impossible to spot.

Keep in mind this vehicle I mention was built in the days will after-market tracks were almost non-existent.