Tank Tracks?

135warrior

Hey guys, Im building a 1:35 diorama for a tank, and wondered if any of you guys have any suggestions for making tracks in the ground? I want it to look like other tanks have passed through before, and maybe have a couple of humvee tracks in there too, any suggestions?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hey guys, Im building a 1:35 diorama for a tank, and wondered if any of you guys have any suggestions for making tracks in the ground? I want it to look like other tanks have passed through before, and maybe have a couple of humvee tracks in there too, any suggestions?
Yo 135...What sort of ground, soft or hard, are you creating?

Ron

135warrior

hey, its going to be fairly soft ground i guess because its a desert scene so its mostly sand

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
hey, its going to be fairly soft ground i guess because its a desert scene so its mostly sand
Spread some polyfilla where you want the tracks. Place a piece of track in the stuff then move it along. For the Humvee use a pencil or similar and drag this along.

When dry paint the ruts a darker sand than the rest.

Spread a thin coat of P.V.A. over the dio. NOT the ruts.

Get some of yak face's budgie grit and sprinkle it on.

When dry upend the dio. and shake. The grit will stick to the desert area but not the ruts giving an impression of compacted sand. Re-touch with paint if req.

If you care to have a look, I have used this method in my gallery photo 'Snow tiger' minus the sand!!!! but the principle is still the same.

I hope this is of some use and I look forward to some pickies.

Ron

135warrior

ok thanks, i'll give that a go and let you know how it goes.. cheers again