Tanks for a Stalingrad diorama?

J

Jack10

Hi guys I'm planning on doing a Stalingrad diorama and was wondering which tanks were most common for the Germans during this campaign? And which kits would you guys recommend ?

J

Jens Andrée

What a diorama that can be!!!

The information tommy1drop linked to is really impressive and it shows the type of research modellers do :smiling3:

You can't do a German offensive on Stalingrad without a StuG III if you ask me, and if not it's a very good excuse just to build a StuG III! (my favourite German tank destroyer without a doubt!)

StuG III Ausf. F: (Sd.Kfz 142/1; built March–September 1942) initially with the 7.5 cm StuK 40 L/43 gun or the 7.5 cm StuK 40 L/48 gun that was introduced in June 1942, just in time for the battle of Stalingrad. Any of these variants will work. StuG III Aufs. F/8 were not used in Stalingrad so stay away from those.
Earlier StuG III were also used in Stalingrad, but I would select the long barrelled Aufs. F with the 7.5 cm StuK 40 L/48 gun, or the L/43 if you can't find a descent L/48.
Let me know later if you want recommendations for kits, if you're going to include a StuG III that is... ;)

On the Russian side you have the infamous T34/76.

It was such a large battle with so many casualties and there were close quarters combat just about everywhere after the Luftwaffe had bombed more or less the whole city into ruins. It's an infinite canvas for a diorama!

Other useful resources are
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stalingrad
https://www.pinterest.se/search/pin..._meta[]=of|typed&term_meta[]=stalingrad|typed

The member grumpa here has made some gruesome dioramas that depict the true horror between the Russian army and the German army. His latest was Battle of Berlin but it's a fantastic source for inspiration, if you want true grime and horror - like it must've been...

This is going to be a great project for you and your great figure painting skills! Add to this broken buildings, rubble, carnage, some armour and you've got a longer project that you can be really proud of afterwards and to preserve a piece of history.

Apart from the Russians and the Germans, Romania, Italy, Hungary and Croatia also participated in the battle of Stalingrad.

This I'm looking forward to see how it progresses! :smiling3:

J

Jack10

A Stug III sounds like a good idea jens. Do Tamiya do one that I could use in a Stalingrad dio ? Thanks for the link tommy very useful piece of reference material there. It's going to be a toss up between a panzer III and a stug

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

A Stug III sounds like a good idea jens. Do Tamiya do one that I could use in a Stalingrad dio ? Thanks for the link tommy very useful piece of reference material there. It's going to be a toss up between a panzer III and a stug
The Dragon Stug III are the best in the game from what I hear although I don't build afv...

J

Jens Andrée

Tamiya are doing StuG III Aufs. B and G, no F sadly.

The best choice is the Dragon #6756 1/35 StuG.III Ausf.F w/7.5cm L/48

Others available are
Cyber-hobby 1/35 Sd.Kfz.142/1 StuG III Ausf.F kit #9101
DML StuG III Ausf.f Sd. Kfz. 142/1 Type Plastic Model Kit 1:35 SIB

Technically you can use anything made before summer 1942 but the StuG III was the most used tank (destroyer) in the Battle of Stalingrad I think...
I'm sure they used a couple Panzer 3's as well, but what versions I don't know but that should be easy to find.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jack, if you go to Google images and type in 'German Armour at Stalingrad', you'll be lost for choice, both with the types used, and also ideas for your build.

By all means get it dead right, but don't get too bogged down limiting yourself with what you can and can't use, be a free spirit and just have fun creating the diorama - I do.....

Ron

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Tamiya are doing StuG III Aufs. B and G, no F sadly.

The best choice is the Dragon #6756 1/35 StuG.III Ausf.F w/7.5cm L/48

Others available are
Cyber-hobby 1/35 Sd.Kfz.142/1 StuG III Ausf.F kit #9101
DML StuG III Ausf.f Sd. Kfz. 142/1 Type Plastic Model Kit 1:35 SIB

Technically you can use anything made before summer 1942 but the StuG III was the most used tank (destroyer) in the Battle of Stalingrad I think...
I'm sure they used a couple Panzer 3's as well, but what versions I don't know but that should be easy to find.
Just a quick heads up, in case you didn't know Cyberhonby is just a cheaper, reboxed version of Dragon kits.