The dalpol deltic

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I've just started on this on i thought it would be a good on to do as it's one not seen very often.I did manage to find some windows for it , as you can see the body sides need straighting i've never had one that was straight.

The next thing was to take the extraordinary amount of flash off the body ends see the before and after pic,i have included a pic of my old which i was going to rebuild but i thougth better of it so lets see what i can make of this one

Cheers,peter

View attachment 60890

View attachment 60891

View attachment 60892

View attachment 60893

View attachment 60894

View attachment 60895

2013-02-28 18.58.19.jpg

2013-02-28 19.46.33.jpg

2013-02-28 19.04.18.jpg

2013-02-28 19.01.29.jpg

2013-02-28 19.00.45.jpg

2013-02-28 18.59.38.jpg

P

Plastickitbasher

I shall watch this one, as it's something a little different.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
peterairfix's dalpol deltic

The first thing i have done is to replace the body end grills with metal ones i found some n gauge fencing that does the job quiet well.

Cheers Peter

View attachment 60915

2013-03-01 12.37.19.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Peter,

My main interest is in model railways so this is an interesting thread to follow. You mentioned that you are using N gauge mesh for the nose end grills of this Deltic and I just wondered if you knew that there are numerous small suppliers that produce etched brass roof fans & grills as well as body side grills and buffer beam detail. Howes Models, 1 Stop Model Shop - Welcome to Howes Models Large Selection of Heng Long tanks, in Kidlington are a good source of these materials, including paint and transfers, and if you have a local model shop they too could give you more direction. Have a look at my blog for model railway related stuff. It's mostly weathering but some detailing stuff is there too. Ricky's Railway

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
thanks for your help i do have a number of good model shops in my area for this type of stuff but being in the ranks of the unenployed its all down to cost rather than choice.cheers and thanks peter

B

Bunkerbarge

Just a little point of interest that not everyone might know, the term Deltic refers to the engine configuration, which is triangular in shape, or loosely 'D' shaped, hence Deltic from the Greek for 'D', Delta, with a crankshaft at each corner. The corners are joined together by three cylinders, each one with two opposed pistons in it making for an extreemly compact and powerful engine arrangement. Working on one must be a nightmare!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
There is at least one of the later Class 55 locomotives, which is a direct cousin of the prototype Deltic, in preservation and still certified for mainline running. It spent some time last year on hire running tanker and PCA's around the North East and Scotland I believe. The prototype Deltic that you are modelling is at the National Railway Museum in York.back. The NRM produced a limited edition ready-to-run model in partnership with Bachmann a couple of years