The Forgotten Ruins.

Coming soon..... :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Now that's got me thinking. What with plants counting to three and now this, I won't sleep tonight.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
interesting Polux,you have my attention,:D

First Name
Stuart
You got me thinking on this one Polux. I have to stay now to find out what it's going to be.

P

Polux

Thanks guys and girl.
I was needed for a computer....sorry :D :D :D

P

Polux

The Forgotten Ruins will be a fantasy layout. An artistic work.

The story starts on November, in England. My girlfriend and I visited the Warley show and sleep together on the Warwick castle. Nice combination trains and castles....

I remember we were walking, calmly, around the fantastic layouts showed on the event. Observing. Thinking.
That weekend, after some deliverance, we decided to build this project.

My girlfriend isn’t a modeller, but will be an excellent artistic manager. An exigent! In fact, I’ve been drawing many difference projects before I received her “OK”. lol

So here starts our project together.

Wish us luck!
Rachel & Polux

Basic Information:

Base: 300 cm x 20 cm

Scale: 1/35

Locomotives: 2 scratch build locomotives.

Tracks: HO scale (modified)

System: Digital

P

Polux

Design.

Those draws are some samples that showing the evolution of the project.

The first one was a vague idea of a layout build at HO scale. Quickly, we change the idea and runs to the 1/35 one; it means less circuit, but more detail and personality on the project.
_DSC2692.JPG
_DSC2695.JPG
_DSC2696.JPG

This is the final idea, or the same as say it is the “winner” :eek:
_DSC2697.JPG
_DSC2699.JPG

_DSC2700.JPG
_DSC2702.JPG

The Forgotten Ruins explain the day by day of a beekeepers family. Their bee hives are dispersed around the old runes and the lake. The two freight houses are there to help on their work, as the small locomotives that bring the opportunity, at the family, to move the bee hives without major problems. We thought, that see the small train running throw the ruins and arcades was a very romantic idea.

We were looking for another important item as well; we would like to add an old century tree on the scene. It should be a perennial one. We have the idea to add three or four more trees, but they will deciduous, leaving the soil full of reddish leaves.

P

Polux

Locomotives and structure.

For the base we will use a wooden sheet structure (300 x 20 cm). I’m quite afraid. Those last days, with the warm temperature on my studio, the wooden plate starts to deform. It isn’t straight now..... I’m using all my Jules Verne collection as a weight now, lol
_DSC2686.JPG _DSC2687.JPG

As I commented, the two running locomotive will be scratch build. I suppose we will take as reference the locomotive Deutz OMZ 122F or similar.
There is a brand (Hapo-Bahn) that produce some interesting wagons at 1/32-1/35 scale using the 16,5mm track.

We will use the Roco track system at HO scale. We will modify the sleepers for a better and more real look.
_DSC2679.JPG
_DSC2677.JPG

The layout will have three turn-outs. All the other tracks will be flexible for a subtle curves and attractive look.

P

Polux

Buildings.

The layout has three buildings, all they will be scratch build. The two freight houses will be done using wood. After building some American craftsman kit, we have a clear idea that we want to build. Now we have to find some good photos as a reference.

Exactly the same happens with the castle. We are looking for some good pictures of ruins, around the world. Seems the best ones are the English! lol
I bought this product on the Telford show. Is the perfect one to sculpt the runes of the castle.

_DSC2705.JPG

P

Polux

Kits.

There will be some different stuff on the freight houses and two vehicles out there, maybe three. The 1/35 scale give us the opportunity to find very varied items to add at the scene. Like these work items.
_DSC2641.JPG

We have in mind those vehicles.
This lovely tractor. That will be weathered and battered nearly a house.
_DSC2642.JPG

And one of these vans. Perfect to transport bee hives. :smiling3:
_DSC2675.JPG

Or the new released Land Rover by Italeri. The difference between, the old and the new kit, is the last one has the hard top :rolleyes:
resize.jpg

P

Polux

Vegetation and flora.

The main subject on the scene will be the century tree. We will build it using the wire technique.
_DSC2682.JPG

We have been recollecting some different colour leaves, as some dried flowers and similar as well, that we expect use during the build.
We are looking for real vegetation as much as possible...

_DSC2684.JPG

P

Polux

That’s all for today!! lol

Thanks for be there ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow that's a lot going on with this one,Polux,do wish you luck,
will be watching,very interesting,;)

First Name
Stuart
Well that's a lot of info and a lot to work on buts sounds interesting,some nice ideas looking forward to this unfold.
Best of luck to both of you on this project Polux

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
the wooden plate starts to deform
You will probably need to seal it first. Once you get it flat, varnish it all over. This will stop it absorbing or loosing any moisture and hence warping.

P

Polux

You will probably need to seal it first. Once you get it flat, varnish it all over. This will stop it absorbing or loosing any moisture and hence warping.
That's a really great advice Colin, thank you very much!!!
Noted ;)

P

Polux

Not much work....but I started to work on the tractor.
The quality is good, and all fits perfect. Is a nice kit ;)
Just hope to paint a good weathering work there....:eek:

IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0088.JPG

Thanks!
Polux