The Liberation of a Normandy Village - and some cheese and wine too!

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ron,

You plainly don't need any 'advice' from me - those buildings are a miracle.

But I'm worried about your diet - it seems to consist of nothing more than beer and pizza at the moment...

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Ron.

Off on another fantastic voyage I see. I do have a question though. What is pizza foam and where do you get it??? I will also steer clear of the english language topic, but will definitely join you with a cold one!

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Buildings look great.
Seems like misbehaviour is obligatory when following your work so I'll chuck stuff, shout out, break wind and put my feet up on the chair infront :thumb2:
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
....and he never mentioned syntactic ambiguity once......”Montgomery flies back to front” anyone....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent posts chaps....
Tim - Thanks for the positive comments. I'll take any advise from anyone. That's what's good about this hobby. "Those who think they know everything know now't!" It's just that I'm so used to working with polystyrene for all aspects of 'ground work' that to change now would be a total disaster, But I really do appreciate your input and suggestions.
By the way, I do have a well balanced diet - I eat wine gums by the ton too!

Allen - Pizza Foam is the hard 4/5mm polystyrene discs which are to be found in Pizza packaging to prevent them breaking in transit. I must admit though that for my birthday earlier this year, my wife bought me a box of 5mm A4 foam board. I am starting to wade through those now - I have to, or my life wouldn't be worth a carrot!

Jim - Yes, please!....:thumb2:

Cheers all.
Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ron
Usually called “Crash blossoms” when referring to newspaper headlines.....something wot can be read wiv more than one meaning....
Classic examples:
Eighth army push bottles up Gemans
British left waffles on Falklands
Police help dog bite victims
Red tape holds up bridge
The deliberate one from Ray Davies designed to beat the censor “I’m glad I’m a man and so is Lola”
And the one about explorer Sir Vivian Fuchs leaving on yet another exploration voyage got the sub editor sacked so I simply won’t mention it ...

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
....and he never mentioned syntactic ambiguity once.....

That's 'cos I ain't got the foggiest idea what you're on about!

But I do know that time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hey Ron. Is that foam board that Justine got for you like a piece of thin foam with a plastic coating on both sides? If so, could you let me know how you get on with it? I tried some a couple of years ago and found it really tricky to use. More often than not, when I tried to cut it, I found my knife blade bending so I couldn't get straight, vertical cuts - but maybe that's down to my general hamfistedness.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ron

I see you have your own page on Zoopla now.The price of your houses are going through the roof!:smiling:

This is gonna be another masterpiece. Looking forward to watching it develop. Good luck

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the comments boys.

Tim - Please message me about Mr. Fuchs. I can guess the content but would like to read the correct version.

Dave - The A4 board does indeed have a foam core, but its covered both sides with paper, not plastic. Before its any use the paper has to be removed first.

Steve - Glad you like progress thus far. I didn't know what Zoopla was until I asked the wife, I really must get on a computer more often (Then again - Nah)

O.K., here's the third building. When I first made this one it looked too much like the previous two, so I cut out a nice big shop window and included a small extension to the other side.

I've started to add some flooring too. More on that next.
P1150640a.JPG

I also added a middle wall as the house ridge board needed further support. I also added a chimney and wall plates then painted it all with cheap acrylics. Don't waste your good paints on stuff like this. For those unsure what a wall plate is, it's the timber running along the top of the brick/stonework. The roof spars are then nailed to these.
P1150640.JPG

Cheers all and thanks for looking.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Posts on here made my morning :tongue-out3: And then after putting a smile on my face we have another excellent building.
Do you use balsa wood for the wooden bits?
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Morning Jim.
Thank you. The wooden bits are coffee stirrers cut into strips. I don't like balsa for so small a scale, the grain is not tight enough and too pronounced. Coffee stirrers on the other hand, are made from a much harder and denser wood altogether and scale up much better in 1/72.

Cheers.
Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
Another source of strip wood is pound shop garden markers. I got some for fifty pence that are pretty good quality timber, smooth and tight grained. They are slightly bigger than coffee stirrers so can be used for larger section timber....good for mounting sub assemblies for spraying as well..
Cheers
Tim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon Ron,

Thats some very nicely made buildings right there....I’ll have to have a try myself one day. Good tip about using the cheap paints for getting some colour on them:thumb2:

Si

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Ron
Forgot to comment on the buildings (Dohh!!!).
Great stuff, nicely incised details....are you using foam board with the paper removed? If so, how are you removing the paper? I’ve found it doesn’t peel well, but that heating it with a hairdryer works well.
Cheers
Tim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Ron
Forgot to comment on the buildings (Dohh!!!).
Great stuff, nicely incised details....are you using foam board with the paper removed? If so, how are you removing the paper? I’ve found it doesn’t peel well, but that heating it with a hairdryer works well.
Cheers
Tim
Pizza bases Tim....Ron’s only mentioned it about 59 times:smiling5:
Si

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks folks.
Pizza tonight!

Earlier in the thread I mentioned flooring. Here is a 1st. floor completed. I used the same material as the wall construction. I simply scoured the floorboard lines into the stuff and then slurried brown paint all over the surface, slightly altering the shade as I applied the acrylics. I also cut out a stairwell. If you go back to my last building pictures, you will see the ground floors are in too.
P1140427.JPG

Having made three buildings, I started to feel all six that I needed were going to look more or less the same - Typical Normandy dull grey render under a slate roof. I needed a radical change of direction so.....

More to come.

Cheers.
Ron