The Liberation of a Normandy Village - and some cheese and wine too!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ah, Pete. Tobermory!

When we travel up the west coast of Scotland we sometimes catch the ferry from Oban to Craignure on Mull, then jump another ferry from Tobermory to The Ardnamurchan Peninsula ( That's it in the background. An unspoilt piece of heaven) Then motor up to Mallaig. On to Skye. Jump another ferry to the Outer Hebrides.......Again!

With any luck, come September, I'll have a bag of Tobermory fish and chips, sitting in the camper waiting for the ferry.....:thumb2:

P1120729.JPG

P1120718.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice intro Ron and as expected some great looking buildings.:thumb2:
Looking forward to see how you make the roofs.

Fernando

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Ron,
As most likely one of the newest kids on the block, I'm Definitely in on this build. I love your creativity when it comes to your buildings. I'm hoping to pick up a few pointers for my next dio so please pass as much on as you can.
Thanks,
Rick H. p.s. just think what you could do in 1-87 scale!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Buick is a proper name so rules do not apply. The kicker is most (I didn't check them all) of those sentences can be diagrammed like the nuns taught me. English is weird. PalE

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Buick is a proper name so rules do not apply. The kicker is most (I didn't check them all) of those sentences can be diagrammed like the nuns taught me. English is weird. PalE

... any thoughts on the model? ....:disappointed:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sorry, got carried away.
I can't get foam board that thick around here. 3/16" is the thickest I've found, but your use of it is excellent. I agree about balsa-don't use it. I've limited my use of foam board to bases as there are many European building kits available in my scale, but you & Tim have shown excellent results so I will try it in the future. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ron .
As one of the founder members of the Rabble I shall hurl abuse ably assisted by Si , who I will sit with .
Sorry I'm late, been watering the greenhouse .
John .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your positive comments folks.

Sorry I'm late, been watering the greenhouse .
John .
John - I didn't know you could make greenhouses grow! ....... Anyway, I dread to think just what you are growing in there ..... :cool:

As I wrote earlier, I was getting a bit concerned that the buildings were all looking a bit 'samey'. It was my wife who reminded me of the wonderful half timbered buildings we saw in Normandy, Bingo! I have a couple of photos too. So here is my first, and somewhat tentative go at such a structure. I decided to ease myself in by making a small fifty/fifty rendered and timber one first.

So using my pictures as a reference plus a good dollop of artistic licence, I designed then drew the building out on a paper template first, then made all the sections and cut out all the doorways and window openings. Before gluing together I butted up the pieces and marked the timberwork with a pencil, this ensured the horizontal timbers ran true all around the building. I then carefully scribed the outlines with my modelling knife. I then 'pushed' in the foam to bring out the timber from the surface a tiny bit. Then glued it all together. I was getting brave and added more lines and features to the rendered surface too. Roof timbers ready for the spars.

The big circular feature in the small gable was the wife's idea!

Again painted with cheap acrylics (The childrens ones in the small metal tubes)

P1150606.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I love watching your builds come together!

PS You still using those stirrers I brought to Cosford some years ago? You can't have many left!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Love that timbered building. Must make life easier having a wife who keeps you on the right lines :smiling5:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Dave - No, afraid they're all gone, but there is a plentiful supply out there - Not that I condone such outrageous behavior. Especially when a cuppa costs so little to buy in the first place! .......:astonished:

Jim - Sometimes they do have their uses .....:thinking:

Thanks again.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Paul.
I'm well pleased you approve of how it turned out. Only two more to go - perhaps?

Cheers.
Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good mate, love the buildings. I could do with some of those for wargaming so might steal your designs LOL. Cheeky request, any chance of scans of the sketches? I can make pretty much anything, but It’s the design bit I struggle with.
Cheers
Tim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the info. Here in the Fatherland our frozen pizzas have that too. The downside is, they are round pieces of cardboard and worthless for building something. Truly great work so far and the artistic license looks fab!!! Drive on Sir....

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Ron,
The circle in the gable wall....same diameter as a slice of pepperoni by any chance..?:smiling5:
Joking aside....really impressed :thumb2:
Si

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ron .

Love the building, I expect lath and plaster as well.
John .

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real liking our building,looks great so far,

Ah, Pete. Tobermory!

When we travel up the west coast of Scotland we sometimes catch the ferry from Oban to Craignure on Mull, then jump another ferry from Tobermory to The Ardnamurchan Peninsula ( That's it in the background. An unspoilt piece of heaven) Then motor up to Mallaig. On to Skye. Jump another ferry to the Outer Hebrides.......Again!

With any luck, come September, I'll have a bag of Tobermory fish and chips, sitting in the camper waiting for the ferry.....:thumb2:

View attachment 305282

View attachment 305283

Cheers.
Ron
yes much slow down for them,do real like these,s little guys :smiling: