The Liberation of a Normandy Village - and some cheese and wine too!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers men!

G.C. R.C. - Not to mention the sweet smell of chainsaw oil. (Used for fitting doors) Well I was on a price per door!

Steve - Can't fit any more on the base...:sad:

Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Absolutely fantastic and not the least bit boring!!! C'mon Ron, make the whole town. You want to and besides, you get to eat the pizzas too! It's a win, win………..

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys. Onwards and upwards!

Let's tackle the base. I didn't take interminable pictures of every single stage of the process, so if things get a little disjointed blame the producer!

I decided that six buildings would be enough for the village square. So after more shuffling than the Government Ministers, I finally decided on the buildings positions.
I marked around each one and then set about making some pavements.

These I made from thick plastic card with the flag and kerbstones scribed on to the surface.
dsc00717a.jpg

Cut as required.
dsc00717b.jpg

...... a loose, just to try fit.
DSC00717.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.

Not being flippant, but anything sharp would do the trick (scalpel, Stanley knife) I mark the lines out in pencil first, then scour them freehand with whatever I have to hand - Wobbly is good!

That's what I dislike about most bought stuff - too neat and precise. No one in the real world lays paviours etc. spot on, straight and true and dead flat.

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Cheers Ron
Freehand sounds good. That would be realistic. Bought some cheap acrylics this morning in town on your suggestion. Makes perfect sense :thumb2:
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chainsaws :surprised::surprised::surprised: !!!! Ron how could you. :worried: I preferred the axe.

Buildings of course looking perfect, I agree with the too neat on purchased paving.

JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks J & J. I'm chuffed you like it thus far.

Here's a down shot of the pavements glued on to the base. You will see on the left of the model I've changed from paving slabs to tiles. A bit of variation kind'a breaks things up and adds a bit more interest. See the pavement bottom right? It's flying over the river. Honest mistake guv'!
007a.JPG

The next picture will show it better, but it was about this stage I feared the whole thing was going to look flat and boring. So just prior to this photo, I made some drastic alterations.
More to follow .....

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
If nothing else you are always entertaining - actually looks very nice indeed.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Don't think it would ever be boring Ron .
J

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your posts boys.
As mentioned, the base was starting to look flat and boring, so I decided to put the two rendered buildings on a higher level, looking down on the village square. I used a thick piece of polystyrene for this. Where I can, I prefer to build any ground up, rather than dig into stuff. No mess or dust - :thumb2:

Incorporating a higher level gave me a nice sloping road running down into the square - bonus!

172 French Village 007.jpg
I've placed a building on to get a better idea as to what's what.
That flying pavement is starting to annoy me!

Here's a closer look at the setup. I made the two set of steps out of scrap stuff.

Note the up and down, all over the place tiles and paviours....Luuuurvely. I added small wall up stands with stone cappings to the raised areas, then gave them all a grey wash to highlight the 'joints'

172 French Village 008.jpg

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Fascinating and great stuff as usual Ron, but that 'flying pavement' is bugging me too! When you gonna do summat with it?

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
How about a stone or cement retaining wall beneath flying pavement to prevent further erosion by the stream? PaulE

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Men, stand at ease! Already sorted, but thanks for the concern and suggestion. Quite reassuring to realise that my buddies on here are looking after this old f**t! :upside::thumb2:

Your Servant.
Sir Robin Day

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
[QUOTE="spanner570, post: 387085, member: 161"Quite reassuring to realise that my buddies on here are looking after this old f**t! :upside::thumb2:

Your Servant.
Sir Robin Day[/QUOTE]

Well, somebody needs to - and us old f***s need to stick together!