The Liberation of a Normandy Village - and some cheese and wine too!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Gents. I'm glad you approve thus far.

Jim - Scratch building everything myself is what I like about making dioramas. Apart from the immense satisfaction I get from doing so, I am free from the constraints of bought stuff.

Good though ready made items are, they prevent me from allowing my brain to sail away to that wonderful horizon that opens up who knows what? I am free as a bird soaring high above the clouds searching for that modelling utopia that I'm sure exists somewhere far away and then.........

Oh, hello nurse, coffee time already? Hang on, it's only half nine!

What have you got there, that's no Kit-Kat, that's a needle!! If you think you're going to stick that......................ZZZZZZZ

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Ron.
Just about to get up, tiring this retirement lark and too many late nightsn:cool:
Looking good, now tell the truth did you set fire to those joists ?

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Morning to you too, G.C.
Just lately, the only down side of retirement for me is spending too much time deciding where to put the sun lounger. It really is too tiresome for words!

I really did just use watered down black acrylics for the joists. Then dribbled some down the render. Can you imagine the fun with heat in the close proximity of that lovely polystyrene?! .......:surprised::face-with-thermometer:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning to you too, G.C.
Just lately, the only down side of retirement for me is spending too much time deciding where to put the sun lounger. It really is too tiresome for words!

I really did just use watered down black acrylics for the joists. Then dribbled some down the render. Can you imagine the fun with heat in the close proximity of that lovely polystyrene?! .......:surprised::face-with-thermometer:

Ron hi , that did cross my feeble mind ! Not you and the sun lounger ! But the joists !
When I did the truck canopy I did it away from the dio. I like the use of a black wash with the AB gives a great smoke effect to an open window. .

Right coffee and toast , in the garden .it's a hard life!!
John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

You have such a complicated life Ron! My retirement plan is much simpler - I don't have a sun lounger.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
David, my dear chap. Kick the cats off the chair and use that....sorted!

What! And drag the thing through three doors and two rooms to get it outside! I didn't work for Pickfords you know! Remember I picked teaching 'cos it was indoors with no heavy lifting. And besides, if you know anything about cats, you'll know that as soon as I get settled and comfy outside, they'll be pestering me to come inside and feed 'em. Not to mention the moaning if I pinch their favourite chair off 'em!

I'll get my sun second hand as always- through the window!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A pleasant bit of banter - Excellent stuff!

Here's the final old building. Stray mortar rounds have hit the end of it. Same method as before. One finger pushed at it until enough damage had been done. You will perhaps remember my reference to only sparring out half the roof on this. As I had an idea to only slate one half of this one, it was pointless adding the roof timber detail to that particular section.

After roofing the building as before using thin paper for the battens and card for the slates, I just used a big flat headed brush loaded with watered down cheap acrylic paints and slurried the roof and where the explosion occurred. Then dabbed here and there. Finally, with slightly less water (Darker shade) I added a few streaks to the roof slates and generally messed the whole thing up a bit.

"Goddamit, I said don't hit the old buildings. Remember the cheese and wine!"

P1150661.JPG

Cheers all.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Moving quickly on.....:disappointed2:
Here are the three half timbered buildings on the base. I've also scribed in a small cobbled area in the village square.
You can also see more clearly the raised area in the foreground where the two rendered buildings will eventually go.

P1150673a.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I don't possess an A.B.. I'm a poor sap who brush paints!

David, my dear chap. Kick the cats off the chair and use that....sorted!
Ron.
I don't have a sun - lounger ! Spent the money on the AB !
Grumpy Old Git

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks G.C. Race and Ian.

Grumpy Old Git - Does the layout of the three buildings pass muster, old lad?

Ian - Good to see you're still tagging along....:thumb2: You must be a sucker for punishment!

Cheers chaps.
Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks G.C. Race and Ian.

Grumpy Old Git - Does the layout of the three buildings pass muster, old lad?

Ian - Good to see you're still tagging along....:thumb2: You must be a sucker for punishment!

Cheers chaps.
Ron
The Grumpy Old Git thinks they and the layout are the dogs mate. A lot of skill, effort, and thought has gone into this, and it shows .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Ron,
Coming along nicely....
Appears your fan club approves. I certainly do.
Regards,
Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys ......

Here's a better shot of the village square, showing the pavements, steps and the cobbled area where the locals might sit, chew the cud and relax - normally!

P1150680b.JPG

Next up. As the build gets nearer to the defenders strong points. I'll progressively alter the remaining buildings, gradually adding more damage than the previous three.

Keep thinking cheese and wine! ....:upside: :thumb2:

Cheers.
Ron