The Liberation of a Normandy Village - and some cheese and wine too!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron
So effective and yet you make it sound so simple. Flag the pavement is sorted.
Jim

Thanks Jim. I do adopt the simple, straight forward approach when building dioramas (and bits of plastic too!) Sometimes I see builders getting bogged down by reading too much technical stuff, to the point where they seem to fear progressing any further and get a kind of mental block about the whole thing. I just go out and study what I want to reproduce, then have a bash at it.
Diorama videos and books are not for me. I prefer to watch mother nature. She supplies all the information I need. Also folks tend to try and copy what they see on videos or what they read. That can lead to frustration because we all have our own style. - it shows in our models.

However, it doesn't matter how the individual gathers his or her info. as long as they themselves are happy with the resulting diorama or model.

Here endeth the lesson. Please leave any donations in the tray on the way out - Cash only please.

Rev. Billy Graham

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
"Quite agree, too silly. Get some discipline into those chaps Sgt. Major!" ......(Monty Python sketch)

I'm afraid I've lost most of the stage photos of the weir build, so we'll have to make do with ones I have left. Sorry folks .... There again, I don't suppose you would want to see a load of pictures of a stream bed!

Here is the weir wall, stream bed and bank with some colour added. I just picked at the polystyrene with my fingers to produce the rocks.

View attachment 307964

I added some small rocks behind the weir lip and then stuck a piece of clear plastic from a food container over the whole top area.
You will be glad to observe the hanging paving slabs have been sorted. I just built up the corner with some adhesive and sprinkled floor sweeping on to the top surface.
A bit of coffee stirrer fence has also been added.
View attachment 307965

View attachment 307966

I'll put a bit of movement into the water at a later stage.
Next up I'll build the two bridges.

Cheers.
Ron

I think you've changed this on the sly Ron! I swear I saw fish swimming in the water above the weir last time!

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Ron, just had a nice read trough since the last time I checked in.....
The buildings have come out as a real treat (love the damage:nerd:)and the base is very nice too with height variation and a stream.:thumb2::smiling:
Looking forward to see how it develops.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I think you've changed this on the sly Ron! I swear I saw fish swimming in the water above the weir last time!

Dave, those are the pictures I've lost!

Thanks to Fernando, Paul and Guy for your very nice compliments. Well appreciated. :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Never mind all that, what were you doing up and about at 3.30 am this morning?!

Those bl***y cats, I suppose?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Never mind all that, what were you doing up and about at 3.30 am this morning?!

Those bl***y cats, I suppose?

I already done told you I'm a 'night owl' and not a 'lark'! So is Clyde, my little tomcat - he brought this in for me in the wee small hours of this morning:

Clyde and his pressie 120718.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Moving on.

A small footbridge, rough as you like, made from coffee stirrers and painted in various shades of 'Poundshop' type brown acrylics.

dsc00721a.JPG

Trial fit, with a big stone step made from a scrap of polystyrene suitably scribed and weathered. I've also carved some up and down stone cappings to the wall behind the bridge.
DSC00723.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looks like typical council workmanship!

Reminds me of when we moved into a maisonette many, many moons ago. The slats for the shelf in the airing cupboard were about 1" x 1/2" (25 x 12mm in new money). Somebody tried to nail them to the supporting battens using 3" (75mm) oval nails!

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work Sir , but some of us would like to see the stream bed, always interesting finds in them .
Forget the cheese looks like Andys had all the wine :smiling4::smiling4::smiling4:
Yours
Bodge it and Dash

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Ron,
Well if this ain't just "Ducky"! I missed all the fun and quite a bit has been accomplished in my absence. Forgive my ignorance but what purpose does a weir wall serve? it sort of reminds me of a dam but the water behind it is not backed up. I could look it up but I think it would be more interesting if one of you chaps could enlighten me.
Cheers,
Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Remember this from t'other day?

clyde-and-his-pressie-120718-jpg.308036

This was at about 2:00 yesterday afternoon:

!cid_62ED0127215A4492956957DE61DFBCA8@Dave.jpg

I clearly got their names right, but I thought cat burglars only operated at night!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lovin your work Ron. The weir and bridge are wonderful. If you have concerns around the size of the DUKW, Italeri do one in 1 72 which is easy to get hold of

Steve

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Weir and bridge are both great additions.
Have to keep watching to see what Dave's cat brings home next!!
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for the late response chaps, I've been away at a rather good Beer festival .... :upside::thumb2:

Thanks for your posts.

G.C. Bodge It - Sorry boss, but as I posted, all the pictures of the stream bed construction have been lost. The stream running left to right will have no rocks in it, just paint.

Rick H - I should think you've looked it up by now, but just in case you haven't. A weir is usually built to hold back water for general irrigation of fields or a general water supply to surrounding areas. Also made to allow the construction of locks to by-pass rapids. In the case of the model it is there to slow down the water to prevent bank erosion under the house opposite. I don't understand you writing there is no water behind the weir wall. There is...Although not very murky.

Steve - The reference to the DUKW was just a bit of fun, but thanks for the suggestion none the less.

Jim - Thanks Jim. Keep in tune for 'Cat Report'

Thanks again all.
Ron