The Mud Effect 2016 G.B.***Shaky Jake's Bait Shop***

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
"Jeez Jake, we need some bait, open up or we'll miss the tide!"

I wanted a run down, but well frequentated sort of place somewhere on the tidal Mississippi River where fishermen went for bait and supplies. From a sometimes too fertile imagination and all scratch built from household and garden stuff, I've ended up with Jakes Bait Shop. The figures are modified Luftwaffe Personnel. The boat I designed and made from card.

I dedicate this to my old '60's drinking buddy 'Shaky' Jake. He earned his nickname because without a drink and strange smelling fags, he couldn't stop shaking! He didn't live long, but lived life at top speed whilst on this planet of ours....This is for you Jake - wherever you are.

I hope you like this offering folks......

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 007.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 022.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 010.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 009.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 011.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 004.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 008.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 002.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 026.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 016.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 028.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 035.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 019.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 030.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 034.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 012.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 032.jpg

Jake's Bait Shop 1.72 038.jpg

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Out of this world!! :eek:

That looks like 1/72, awesomly detailed!!:cool:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps - Sorry, I forgot to mention the scale. Thanks for reminding me Gavin. Yes, it is 1/72.

Also, sorry for the way the pictures are displayed. They should be in a vertical line, nicely spaced out!

J

John Rixon

Every time I look at one of your posts, I realise at the end how tiny they are, having already thought that they were brilliant - the scale simply doubles this!!!

Wonderful work!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Ron your a master at scratch building and this is just awesome and a great tribute to your good friend

D

dubster72

I see the giant hand of Ron is attempting to make us believe a REAL Mississippi bait shop is actually a scratchbuilt model! :P

But seriously Ron, that's awesome! I've looked over your (excellent quality) pics a few times now, and there's always more to see & enjoy :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great stuff, so good I can smell it !!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the excellent comments, boys.

John, when I get an idea wandering about in the fluid sitting on my shoulders, it's sometimes means I have to work at 1/72 (or smaller). Take my watermill and the hamlet by the locks, these would have been over three feet square in 1/35! Far too big, even where space is not the issue, so 1/72 it sometimes has to be. The one plus with smaller scale is I can get away with far less detail than 1/35.....It's still a b****r to see sometime though.

Cheers Ian, if Shaky can put his weed down for a minute, I hope he can see the model through the haze!

Thanks Patrick - a £30 camera too!

Steve, your amusing post reminded me of the old song 'Mud, mud, glorious mud.......' I remember seeing those two comedians Flounders and Swannvesta singing this little ditty at the music halls. My, how I laughed as I tipped the contents of my ice cream cornet down onto the audience below.

Yours,

Andrew Lloyd Webbfeet.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Steve, your amusing post reminded me of the old song 'Mud, mud, glorious mud.......' I remember seeing those two comedians Flounders and Swannvesta singing this little ditty at the music halls. My, how I laughed as I tipped the contents of my ice cream cornet down onto the audience below.

Yours,

Andrew Lloyd Webbfeet.
I tended to frequent the back aisles of such establishments seeking ladies of dubious character, before I moved on to more, shall we say, outdoor recreation. I did see the other 'Swann Vesta' Tilley and also Marie LLoyd, before she went into banking.

Yours

Jack the Ripper.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Amazing stuff ron mate, its a superbly staged scene full of great little details . The figures are fantastic , youd never know those good ol boys are actually luftwaffe officers!! Im sure jake would love it too , im just off now to make a crawfish pie

Yours billy gumbo

F

Fenlander

Very nicely done Ron. Full of atmosphere, the water is spot on. It's the little details that pull a scene like this together and I especially like the pile of scrap iron with the chap adding to it. Great work.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
'e's done it again! Another ace dio from odds and sods. It's a good job for us mere mortals that we can't all build like that or there'd be no companies out there making models for us!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Wonderful Ron, another unique build masterfully executed. I rather like this and enjoy looking at all the details.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
stunning Ron,always lov seeing your wok,so much detail,the painting weathering,is just great,

at that scale,and I think your mate will be happy having a tinny and a smoke ,going out

for the day fishing,very well done,lov your work, :D

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Very nice, as John Rixon said when you get the end you realise the scale it's incredible and mostly scratch built too!

Incredible work

Phil

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant. I don't think I've ever seen anyone 'do' water quite like you.

First Name
john
Great all round Ron the buildings and figures are fab your mate would be proud well done mate I also love how you do the water it so realistic.

Perhaps one more figure around the back of the bait shop smoking a big fat one:smiling3: :D ;)

Cheers John

D

Deleted member 3568

This looks so real it is impossible for me to think of it as a model, Ron one of the best dio's I've ever seen, truly you are a master.