The Rearguard

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks guys. I should be able to post an update later on today. Got a parade in the pouring rain first! Deep joy.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alex
So I got pissed instead!
- clearly got your priorities sorted. Funnily enough I have just had a dozen wines delivered to keep my cellar rack in the utility room stocked.
Sorry I missed the start of this. Those figures look great. I think it is quite hard to see the detail in white metal as it is a shiny surface. A coat of primer shows better what you have. The finished figure is excellent. With the other figures it will make a stunning vignette.
Jim

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Haha! Thanks Jim! That reminds me, my birthday is coming up soon so I need to put in an order. Progress at last, started to put paint on the Rifleman last night. I'm trying to get a worn and faded look in contrast to the officer but I think I need to tone it down a bit. The green is really too pale. Off to collect the youth from his mum's now, then I've got to try to convince the dogs that they need to go for a walk. Then back to the bench.

_20180922_163838.JPG

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Quick update, I'm happier with the green now after darkening it a bit, and I've made a start on the face. It's the stage I always dread as it can make or break a figure. If all goes well I should finish him this evening.

_20180924_065731.JPG

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks Peter! Finished last night but didn't get any pics until this morning. I'm pretty happy with the finished result, though I might deepen the shadows on his face to give it a bit more contrast. For interest the uniform mix is Vallejo 970 deep green and a bit of black which gives an excellent Rifle Green. Add a bit of light flesh for the highlights and a bit more black for the shadows. The rifle stock is Humbrol 62 natural leather over a black base, and then a thin layer of Humbrol 10 gloss brown. The snow is ancient bicarbonate of soda salvaged years ago from a 10 man ration pack! I knew it would come in handy one day.

_20180925_083514.JPG_20180925_082616.JPG_20180925_082552.JPG_20180925_082533.JPG_20180925_082507.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Windy
Liking that one a lot, especially the rifle stock. Great wood colour, might try stealing that one :cool:

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
  • Really nice figure.That green looks great and I think the rifle looks excellent too.
  • Jon.

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Thanks chaps! Really appreciate all your comments. Got to decide what to do next now. Do I fork out for one of the mounted figures in this set, another of the Rifleman, or go for something completely different? Or should I consider my finances and just build something from the stash? I shall ponder awhile. At least until payday anyway!

Cheers all,

Windy

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice finish Windy. Look forward to seeing your next project