The Royal Navy at Gold Beach

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well that got you all thinking. Relax I have no plans on doing the invasion fleet. (though the thought did cross my mind).

I thought that the most suited thing to The Normandy Landings Just had to be a Landing craft! So Today on the way home the LMS got a quick visit and I picked up the new offering from Italerie the 1/35 scale LCvp, The one with the jeep. He did have the older one sans Jeep, but that cost more. So for less money I got the LCVP AND a 1/4 Jeep with trailer. I have no plan on building the Jeep but who knows.

The clincher on this one was learning that this kit had the paint and decal options for a RN vessel as well as the USNavy version.

Here are the box and sprue shots. Sprues are still in the bags but I think you can see them OK.

Ian M

View attachment 30187

View attachment 30188

View attachment 30189

View attachment 30190

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

D

dm73

Hey Ian , glad to see you went for a lcvp, these are cracking little kits apart from the jeep and trailer don't fit inside the craft when assembled, i think some one forgot their tape measure when putting this kit together lol.

Don't do what i did and put the inner assembly into the outer hull without putting the ramp cable in, its a pain in the bum to sort afterwards.

Looking forward to your build.

Cheers

Darren

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the tip! Don't worry about the Jeep. That wont be going in any way. BTW, If it don't fit due to being to long, It could be that the trailer was disconnected and the Jeep backed up over the trailers tow bar, perhaps?

Been looking at a Bren/universal carrier with wading skirts.....

Only one problem I can see with the kit. The Figures are all US uniformed!!!! Not well thought through considering there is the option for a Royal Navy craft! *spose I could find some somewhere, but even Wee little friends look as if they have stopped doing the 1/35 RN figures!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, nice to see another build for the Jan/March G.B.

Are you going to do a bit of a diorama for it, perhaps with a few squaddies piling out onto the beach head?

With regards to the U.S. crew, how about getting hold of some 1/35 British tin hats / heads and just using them on the U.S Navy bodies. With a bit of jiggery pokery file work, I bet there wouldn't be that much difference.....

Also, if I could quickly 'borrow' your thread, I would like to thank Darren (dm73) for e mailing me the plans for his LCVP. I haven't forgotten Darren, it'll be on the chocks soon.

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ron. Not to sure how I will do it yet. Diorama or stand? I have a few Ideas but nowt 100%.

Do you know how hard it is to find photos of RN landing craft at Gold or Sword!!!!

Regarding the camo pattern: It would appear that the example in the Italerie kit might not be so correct. Rumour has it that they where painted White and Western Approach Blue on the front, back and sides, Sea grey on the top and cargo area. Just trying to find a couple of photos to confirm and to get an idea of the pattern.

I also might see if I can find a Universal carrier and make a wading set for it....

Back to the hunt

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well don't time fly when you're having fun!

This kit just falls together, almost. Very little clean up and a good fit!

Putting all the ribs in was a bit of a challenge, if only due to the amount of them, and trying to get them to sit up strait! I even remembered to put the wire in for the ramp.

Any way, the major part of the construction work is done, now its just all the detail work and maybe a couple of figures.

Here is where I am at.

View attachment 23621View attachment 23624View attachment 23623View attachment 23622

Right now the colour guide says Medium grey. As this is a Royal Navy Boat I assume that we are talking RN Medium Grey. Or are we? The US Navy version also says medium grey. However the model masters paint number is the same for them both and the conversion chart throws up an FS paint code, which we all know is the US system.

Did the Royal Navy paint them over with the BS coded paint, or did they just leave them and paint the camo on the sides.

My best guess is that they painted them over.

Any Ideas?

Ian M

View attachment 30232

View attachment 30233

View attachment 30234

View attachment 30235

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

K

Kressy13

Coming along well Ian. Sure are a lot of ribs. With regards to your question i have no idea. LOL. Anyway keep up the good work mate.

Cheers

Kresten

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Bum!

Sprayed the hull with primer yesterday. Masked off the waterline and sprayed the bottom black. So far so good. Cleaned airbrush, took off masking tape. TOGETHER with the paint! Not just a little bit here and there. The whole lot, bar a few small patches!!!

The air was a tiny bit blue!

Today I have rubbed the hull down and wiped it down with some thinners and it is read to paint yet again!!!

Oh well all part of the game I s'pose! Bonus it that now it will look like its been painted a couple of times :smiling:.

Right where did I put that airbrush?

Ian M

N

noble

Ian mate this looks good so far keep up the good work.

scott

D

dm73

I had exactly the same problem Ian even after washing in soapy water and priming the coat of paint i masked up came away with the tape. Seems strange its happened to you as well.

R

rogue-one

looking forward to checking this cracker out all painted! a wee beach scene dio would be great to see?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I washed it. I wiped it with thinners, I must of just been to inpatient and masked it to soon. I have masked Vallejo Primer before with as little as two hours drying and that went fine...

Its now primed again and I will leave it until tomorrow before I as much as touch it!!!

A minor rant! When a kit is sold as being able to build a Royal Navy version or a US Navy version, why are there only figures from the US Navy.

I thought about attacking them with a knife, and filer but to be honest.........

They have turn-ups on their trousers, a fly zipper? and huge life vests. The helmets are separate though!

My search for Royal Navy figures in 1/35 is not throwing much off and those I do find are OOP!

Still searching but if any one knows of some, I would love to hear about them.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the Hull is now painted. I avoided masking tape altogether and used parer masks hold in place by the Mk.I thumb!!! Worked a treat. AND I only got one thumb print in the paint!!! Duh! Still a few places need a touch up so no real problem.

I will take a few photos tomorrow when the paint has had time to cure and the Hull and errrrrr inner gubbins are together. Just had a nasty thought; what if it don't fit!!!!!????

Then its decals and flat coat!!!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As promised a few photos of the painted bits.

While waiting for the PC to fire up, I put the decals on. All five of them!!!

Tomorrow should see me putting it together. I cant make up my mind as to Weather it or not. Might just give it a light going over, few scrapes, bit of surface rust..

We will have to wait and see. I do rather like a nice clean boat though...

Any way, here she is so far:

View attachment 23727View attachment 23728View attachment 23729View attachment 23726View attachment 23730View attachment 23731

The green at the bow is Western Approaches Green and the Grey 507c which is as good as it gets, The Black and White is, erm, black and white :smiling:

The prop was painted with Alclad and looks rather good. (if a little new!)

Ian M

View attachment 30329

View attachment 30330

View attachment 30331

View attachment 30332

View attachment 30333

View attachment 30334

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Andy! I cheated and assembled it last night, so I might have a go at a light use and abuse weathering thin evening.

Adrian; I dont know yet as I have no figures for it and an empty boat bobbing around in the sea......

Ian M

R

rogue-one

looking good so far. it looks like a detailed we kit. did it fit together all right? you should defo think about giving the bottom hull of the boat a wee weathering, giving it that sailed in murky water look.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

The camo finish looks great I'm rally looking forward to seeing this finished. BTW I don't know if you know this but there are RN figures available from 'Wee friends' to pilot this thing. They are resin so pricier than plastic figures but if you do want a manned vehicle they might be of interest.

All the best

Paul

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Paul, I have been looking at them, but a tenner each plus post... The guys in the duffle coats? the one with the signal lamp and the one in battle dress look more the part.

Now about the duffel coats. It was in June and it was dry(ish) which puts me off a bit. On the other hand it was early (is 8am early) and they where at sea so could of been a bit nippy....

I saw some figures a while back. A couple of guys in jumpers and another in the regulation blue top with dicky and flat top. I just can't find the darn things!!!

I will see if I can find them and if not, I will have to 'settle' for the Wee friends ones. Which look rather good actually.

I have just given her a coat of gloss clear coat. Once that is cured I will get the washes out.

Ian M