The Smythemeister's 1/48 Eduard I-16 Type 18.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great start Andy. I saw a gaggle of these in NZ many years ago, they were very noisy and looked difficult to handle on the ground.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great start Andy. I saw a gaggle of these in NZ many years ago, they were very noisy and looked difficult to handle on the ground.
Cheers Joe,
Would like to see one "up close" myself,I was surprised to read that, despite being obsolete by then,they were still used right up to 1945! :anguished:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It is diddy isn't Andy!!!

I find it amazing how single engined 'fighter' plane sizes varied during the war.

I was having a look at the Skyraider when it arrived and was thinking it had a big wingspan - I know it didn't enter service during the war but it was designed during the was and took its first flight in March 1945 - so I put it up against the Raiden I have just finished and it was almost the same width as the Raiden's. The Raiden as you know was 1/48....the Skyraider was 1/72.....and I reckon is about 3cm wider than this 1/48 I-16!!

Raiden Wingspan = 10.8 m (35 ft 5 in) ; Skyraider = 50 ft 0.25 in (15.2464 m) ; I-16 = 9 m (29 ft 6 in).............yep it's diddy!

Keep up the good work!

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
There's a great review of them on YouTube Andrew,if you put in "How to apply Quinta Studio 3D decals",and scroll down to the short video by " Stregas Plastic Cartel", it'll show you all you need to know.... I think that particular one is the clearest and best of the lot. :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
There wasn't a lot of info around when I first used them on my SU-57 a couple of years ago so I had to wing it :tears-of-joy:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
There wasn't a lot of info around when I first used them on my SU-57 a couple of years ago so I had to wing it :tears-of-joy:

Don't know about "winging it" Andy...
.... Looks like you cracked it first time to me!:cool:
..... Just one thing though,why does it say " deleated member"??:thinking:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Nice to see some excellent progress. The engine is good and despite not much being seen it's definitely worth the effort. Those Quinta decals are very good. I've used them a couple of times recently. The cockpit is like the engine - little seen but so worth doing.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice to see some excellent progress. The engine is good and despite not much being seen it's definitely worth the effort. Those Quinta decals are very good. I've used them a couple of times recently. The cockpit is like the engine - little seen but so worth doing.
Thanks Jim... much appreciated :smiling3:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
There's a great review of them on YouTube Andrew,if you put in "How to apply Quinta Studio 3D decals",and scroll down to the short video by " Stregas Plastic Cartel", it'll show you all you need to know.... I think that particular one is the clearest and best of the lot. :smiling3:

Cheers mate!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then,my current progress..
I must admit if I'd realised what you'll see inside the cockpit with those Studio decals,I wouldn't have bothered, they're certainly amazing,but for this kit,basically a complete waste of money!! :dizzy: .....
... However,I bought them...so I fitted them!!...
IMG20231104102404.jpg
IMG20231104103408.jpg
Don't worry about the shocking paintwork,I'd already realised that you wouldn't see anything!!..
Unusually for a model I've made,this cockpit goes in AFTER the two fuselage halves have been fitted...
IMG20231104160615.jpg
..that's the 3D decal for the dash,a completely wasted effort really,NO WAY will you be able to even remotely glimpse it :tired:, but I bought it,so fitted it!! Next...
IMG20231104145648.jpg
...... Weird way to go about it IMHO, anyway,now I've fitted various externals,and persuaded them to stay together ;) ..
IMG20231104170121.jpg
Can't have too many clamps eh!! :tears-of-joy::thumb2:

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress andy , it is a tiny cockpit opening but even just having the belts and instrument panel is worth the effort . Got one of these on the go at the moment too , but its 1/144 , no need to worry about cockpit detail on that one ! Cheers tony

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great progress andy , it is a tiny cockpit opening but even just having the belts and instrument panel is worth the effort . Got one of these on the go at the moment too , but its 1/144 , no need to worry about cockpit detail on that one ! Cheers tony
Thanks Tony, can't imagine even attempting one of these in that scale!! :flushed:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then, after removing the clamps, some gaps appeared that needed filling..
IMG20231105170441.jpg
IMG20231105170418.jpg
... and then it was rubbed down and primered...
IMG20231105181224.jpg
... also,as you can see,I've bunged up some orrifaces that I didn't want the spray getting in :smiling3:
Workwise this week, I'm gonna be well stretched,so not sure how much I'll be able to get done :thinking:,
Anyway , for now I'm fairly happy, hopefully I'll cram in some time!
Cheers for now,
Andy

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Andy. Shame about the cockpit view as you say. Quite a bit of filler too unfortunately.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew