'The star' diorama finished

J

Jack10

Here's a little diorama I put together based on a scene from my favourite Russian war film (the star)

If you haven't watched it it's deffo worth the watch, if you don't mind subtitles obviously.

IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1877.JPG IMG_1879.JPG IMG_1880.JPG IMG_1881.JPG IMG_1882.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not seen the film but I like this a lot.

J

Jack10

Not seen the film but I like this a lot.
Cheers matey, was quite happy with how it turned out in the end. And it's a good film. Russian recon team like this behind enemy lines, some nice battle scenes in it

J

Jens Andrée

Jack, I can see you're into figures for sure because it's all very well done - and the diorama is spot on! :smiling3:

I've seen a couple of Russian war movies, but it's hard to know which ones are good and which ones are... well, the opposite. (and there's been a few, that I know first hand)
The last Russian war movie I saw was Брестская крепость (Brestskaya krepost) or "Fortress of war" which I really liked. One nasty scene but so is war...
Will try to find The Star (Zvezda) now!

J

Jack10

I think it's actually on YouTube the full movie. I searched it the other day and saw it on there. If not I think I picked it up pretty cheap on DVD off amazon. Ive also seen fortress of war, great film. Have you seen the new Stalingrad they made though? That was terrible!

Thanks for your comments jens, I do love my figures you know that Deffo more of a figure painter than a model builder that's for sure

J

Jack10

Another good Russian film is 'white tiger' good for you tank enthusiasts

J

Jens Andrée

Another good Russian film is 'white tiger' good for you tank enthusiasts
Perhaps, but the "Tiger" in that movie is an abomination for sure and it bothered me so much I had to turn off the trailer...

One fun fact is that someone else was building a proper Tiger I replica for the movie but the director wanted something beefier and got the other one built, if I remember things correctly?

Also Peter Jackson (Bad Taste, LOTR, Hobbit etc) had a working Tiger I replica built for a movie that never happened.
I still hope they make the movie one day but until then Peter and his friends have a great toy to play with during the weekends ;)

Edit: or was that the tank (the accurate one) Peter Jackson bought? My brain is having problems deciding here...?

J

Jack10

Perhaps, but the "Tiger" in that movie is an abomination for sure and it bothered me so much I had to turn off the trailer...

One fun fact is that someone else was building a proper Tiger I replica for the movie but the director wanted something beefier and got the other one built, if I remember things correctly?

Also Peter Jackson (Bad Taste, LOTR, Hobbit etc) had a working Tiger I replica built for a movie that never happened.
I still hope they make the movie one day but until then Peter and his friends have a great toy to play with during the weekends ;)

Edit: or was that the tank (the accurate one) Peter Jackson bought? My brain is having problems deciding here...?
I'm not very clued up on tanks or armour at all really (probs why I enjoyed it as It didn't bother me that the tank didn't look accurate as I couldn't tell) , but anyway, been on the IMDb website and this is some of the trivia about the tank used on white tiger...

When the White Tiger is first seen, it clearly has the turret mounted toward the front of the vehicle, instead of the middle as in the iconic Tiger design. This identifies it as a Porsche prototype, which lost to the more reliable Henschel design in early trials. As such, only one Porsche Tiger ever saw combat service. It served as a command tank on the Eastern Front in 1944, and had additional front armor of up to 200mm thick. Just like the tank in the film, this would have made it virtually immune to most Soviet tank and anti-tank guns.

The White Tiger tank is neither a Tiger nor a Tiger P. It's a Russian IS-2 modified to look like a Tiger tank--that's why the turret is moved to the front of the tank. Tigers also didn't have the tracks covered; this is most likely done here to hide the fact the wheels on the Tiger and the IS-2 look very different. It's believed that the American film Fury (2014) was the first to use a real Tiger tank.

J

Jens Andrée

From what I've heard is that the director wanted a "beefier, more scarier Tiger" and thus why it's been made like that, but this is 3:rd party information. Have seen the pictures from the manufacturing of that "Tiger" though.

The reason why Fury was the first movie that featured a real Tiger is because it is the only running Tiger in the world, and until not that long time ago there were none. Fury brought in shedloads of money and visitors to the tank museum in Bovington, and it was filmed locally-ish, so it was deemed worth the risk to use it in the movie. A very good decision if you ask me! (just a shame about the movie though since it really sucked...)
The money will pay for many, many tanks restorations and that's a win every day in the week!

In 1970 when they made Kelly's Heroes there were no running Tigers in the world so they got a T34/85 and made Tiger-like turrets on them. This is very obvious but not even me - who really know what a Tiger looks like - thinks about it when watching the movie because it's well done the conversion, even though the running gear is obviously T34.
The Tiger in Saving private Ryan I don't know much about. I expected it to be digital to be honest, but that movie was mostly practical effects so they must've made a movie replica somehow. Must check this.

The difference is that these "Tigers" are made to look like a Tiger I whereas the Tiger in White Tiger hasn't since they changed a lot of the design to make it look beefier. This is what bothered me.
I will check out the movie anyway now that you've said it's a good one!

Another tank movie that didn't care for details is Sven Hassel's "Misfit Brigade" where they often drive a Russian SU-100, made to look like a SU-122 with the longer barrel - pretending it's a German tank... sigh.
The books are great, not so much the movie.

I hope Peter Jackson decides to fund his own movie featuring a proper Tiger I replica soon!

I can only assume the same goes for many movies featuring WWII air planes?