The Tamiya 1/48 F35 am I the only one who…

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Has absolutely no interest at all in this kit, despite loving Tamiya and having a series of 1/48 jet builds to do, including the F14 and F4B.

Indeed even if it was brought out in 1/32 I simply would not be interested. Now, a 32 scale Spey Phantom, I would get it immediately

Also if they produced a 48 scale F15, F8, Typhoon or Tornado I would snap it up.

But not the F35, not even if they produce the F35B I would have no interest. Whatever the scale.

There is just something about these stealth fighters that’s so, well, boring. All those straight angles uggh…. You can keep them. Give me the sexy curves of a 4th generation fighter any day or the aggressive pugnacious stance of a 3rd gen aircraft.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not a F35 knocker, these are great aircraft but they just have no sex appeal at all and I have no interest in a model of one.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN I aggree Barry also but this is just my opinion only as to me they havnt been thought out to well an what with that lift fans wheight which is not used 80 % of the time as the harrier was a lot better idea an to also that lift fan cover that is raised on take off as well as landing to me as its a solid bit of the airframe it must cause drag on take off as i would have thought they would have made it out of mesh so that it does not cause drag an the air would pass straight through to me it looks as if its struggles to get airbourne with out any weapons load an only one engine if a flame out occurs then only one way this plane will go is down.AN the cockpit hinges forward to me thats another weird idea YES i cant stand this plane an at a hundred million pound each well we have a lot more money than i thought an the two new carriers well i think they are ugly an why 2 islands less room to park aircraft on the flight deck as the us carriers manage with only one island so more deck space to fit on more aircraft which to me is more senceible an the prop shaft damage nr straight away well i would not build a big R/C MODEL of one of these if i was paid to UGH what horrible ships but then i suppose some people say that about my tiger but to me she was a senible ship if only the guns dint jam as they were auto an still being thought out at the time ANY WAY rant over lol
chrisb

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not a great fan of jets in general personally. I’m OK up to the mid seventies but they lose me completely after that…….could just be getting old I suppose….

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Modern Jets don't really do anything for me - perhaps the Su-27 Flanker is the rare exception, but anything this century has little appeal. Prices of £80+ for a model reduces the interest even more!
Dave

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I'm fascinated by the technology behind (and even inside :nerd:) those 5th generation aircrafts and the revolution in airwar they are supposed to bring is (or, better, is supposed to be) terrific but as a modeller they have no appeal to me.
To create an accurate scale model of those aircrafts just from commercial pics is a big challenge for those who have to design the new moulds with those constantly changing curves of rims and surfaces as well as the new materials used in those planes, and close up pics or 3D scans could probably cause some troubles with National Security Agencies...:cold-sweat: and this justifies the high price of a kit.
Anyhow, I don't want to be totally negative: those of us who love new challenges in painting will easily find a new universe in front of them... as well as the paint makers.

Andrea