More on the progress of the LVT. After being satisfied with the corrections and details to the hull I sprayed the base coat of Olive drab. This acted as a primer, then I sprayed successive layers of highlights and dark tones of the same color mixed with either white or black. For the large side panels I sprayed in a vertical streaked pattern...
I painted the tracks and added them to the body...
At this point I tested it out on a base and planed the composition. Initially it was to be next to a shell hole with casualties being attended but I have since changed it...
Back on the work table I added rust stains...which will be in the next post...
Hi...before I continue with the build blog, I'd like to post up the latest the figures for this diorama. It's safe to say they're up and ready for priming but before that here's a snippet of the composition...
Actually not the final composition as I have relocated the some of the figures but its roughly like that. Basically the pose is supposed to be like this roughly...
The latest figures will be shown in before and after configuration:
Before, the Panzer Grenadier and spare hands.
After, basically he has a new head from Hornet, reworked hald of a Tamiya back pack...
The spade is typical marine tropical style.
Before, standing figure ready to baynet charge.
After, added resin head turned to the right, readjusted arms and hands and made him kneel.
Before, flame thrower man.
After, repositioned his legs, Hornet head, and added the other half of the reworked Tamiya back pack.
May have to redo his left hans to grip the rifle better. This is a classic pose from an Iwo Jima image.
Before, shot gun man.
After, calling out to his buddy. Added Hornet head, reworked arms and change of weapon.
Before, BAR Man.
After, no change...his pose is just right only drilled out the sleeve cuffs.
That was my weekend progress. Little things like the helmet straps and gun slings will be added.
Back to the regular programming channel...continuation of the LVT secondary armement.
I painted the sheilds and guns seperately in Olive drab and flat black. The guns later were treated with graphite and highlighted further with steel.
I chucked a piece of rod onto my power drill and carved out the aerial supports while it spun. The attached guitar string as the antenna.
I created my own markings with masking tape tracing and cutting the insignias and unit numbers...
The chip marks were done with salt and water deposits removed after the white was sprayed.
And these were the results...
At this point critics will notice that this Amtrac is an A5 with features that were found probably at the end of the war. Like the side periscopes on the turret, turret guard rails front and back and the extra aerial mounts. Also the staggard top front hatches. But I'm not into revit counting and use what I have.
Thanks Guys for your replies. I didn't want to get into this thread yet as I was distracted by our countries elections...such drama but we did it. No blood spilt, just like our independence we now have a new government after 61 years. Really proud. Ok that's that...back to regular programming...
Peter, thanks. Your comments are heard even if it's for symmetry and scale. Steve, much obliged. A good masking tape and burnishing the edges just before a pass of the airbrush at 90 degrees to the surface will stop any crippage. Jimbo, I'll be seeing after painting if the puttying and sculpting worked.
We're now where we're supposed to be which is the actual process for the dio. I've always wanted to do the right palm leaves of the coconut tree having seen some not too convincing after market ones.
After analysing I came up with a way (not necessarily the best) of coming up with one.
Using copper wire sandwiched between two layers of masking tape I got the perfect material to work with without tearing easily. I cut the fronds individually and tweezed the ends near the branch.
For the floor debris I used dried fern leaves and cut them the same as the masked palm leaves. They would be crushed and strewn about with the following ends from some dried air plants that surprisingly look like the palm branch ends.
I had to find the easiest way to create coconut tree trunks without the hassle of carving each trunk. I don't know if it's done before but I came up with coating a selected curved twig with two part putty, scored lengthwise with the edge of a hacksaw blade and then twinning thread roughly 2mm width for the entire length of the twig. Then quickly remove the thread and set aside for the putty to cure.
I bulked up the base ends and sculpted the texture.
I cut some as bunker reinforcements...
Primed and the left trunk has been painted with heavy dry brushing. Later I'll add in little specs of moss and lichen and some damage from shrapnel and bullets.
So far I've made more than the three palm fronds and trunks...next is the right colours for these palms. I'm lucky to have two trees in the front of the house as reference.