They didn't expect this - Marines at Peleliu

R

Ranwulf

Enjoyed looking in and seeing it all come together. The scratch stuff is spectacular.

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Richard,
Have just played catch up with your build, Excellent skills and congratulations on the Silver that you were awarded.
Your painting of the figures is brilliant, especially the faces.
Regards Mike

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oops...busy looking at other posts and didn't see these replies. Thanks Daniel, Scottie, Randall and Michael...great to have the latter of you two along. The scratched haversacks weren't difficult to do and were worked on wax paper so that it didn't stick. Basically needed methodical planning in stages starting from the main bag and then the rolled tarp and finally the spade.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, looking at the date, this is rather long in the tooth. I thought of revisiting the dio as I had left it quite abruptly having scratched the back packs.

I wanted a break from the Malayan Emergency dio and practice on my painting so the backpacks were just the thing to practise on. I started by painting all three packs and shovels with base colors using a mixture of Vallejo and ModelAir paints...

I used Russian Uniform from Flames of War, ModelAir light green Chrm, ModelAir Sand Yellow and Flames of War Flat Earth.

LO230.jpg

Camouflaged spots on the poncho rolls haven't been added as I was letting the base colors dry out and cure. The straps are not painted too.

LO231.jpg

Weathering will commence and details and washes and tinting will come later. Stick around for more 'cos I might scratch the Nambu machine gun using the original as reference. The reason for this is that only part of it will be poking out of the pillbox so I can save the original for another dio not unless Mini-Art comes up with a Japanese automatic weapons set.

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Glad to see you restart this Richard - I (don't) hope you get cured of your serial dioramitis - you have a very bad case! ;)
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Glad to see you restart this Richard - I (don't) hope you get cured of your serial dioramitis - you have a very bad case! ;)
Steve
Yes a very bad case indeed... I tend to re-work on dios that are prematurely completed. For this particular dio the bunker is practically empty, there aren't enough coconuts, the deliberate tinting of the soldiers uniforms to give them variation is not done, there should be more palm fronds scattered, more creepers on the coconut trunks and of course the missing backpacks.

For R&R I was given a sitting monkey by Giang Xuan Le of Paracel Miniatures and haven't yet put it on the roof. I will be making monkeys/macaques for my Malayan Emergency dio.

Cheers,
Richard

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I`d missed this until now Richard,but had a catch up and very pleased i did :thumb2: ,
Excellent work on those back packs Sir.... very nice indeed!
Andy

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
I think I remember this although maybe not - memory fades as the years roll by :rolling:
The packs look good.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just had a look at the start ,a few names we don't see here anymore ,Wouter and Tony Lee.
Nice to see this start up again Richard .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I've just had a very enjoyable catch-up; superb stuff ,Richard, as always from you!
I've always fancied doing an Iwo Jima dio based on 3 packs of Airfix Multipose Marines I have in the stash...it will have to wait but you have inspired me!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
I think I remember this although maybe not - memory fades as the years roll by :rolling:
The packs look good.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I have to remind myself not to make too long an interval of builds as my friends here are getting on with age. :smiling2:

The packs look good.
Scottie, thanks. I surprised myself with the scratch work.

Just had a look at the start ,a few names we don't see here anymore ,Wouter and Tony Lee.
Nice to see this start up again Richard .
Hi John, yes I wonder what has happened to them. I suppose Wouter is very busy with his Yamato with the amount of PE he is adding to it.

I've just had a very enjoyable catch-up; superb stuff ,Richard, as always from you!
I've always fancied doing an Iwo Jima dio based on 3 packs of Airfix Multipose Marines I have in the stash...it will have to wait but you have inspired me!
Neil, I'm so glad you enjoyed the catch up and has inspired you to tackle figures for Iwo Jima. Will look forward to it.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Did a bit of washing today on the packs. I have also attached the spades to the packs. A bit of highlights to raised areas with the base paint with added white or cream.

LO233.jpg

Picked out the spade covers with a lighter shade of khaki. Watched The Sands Of Iwo Jima for some inspiration.

Cheers,
Richard

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Looking good. Like John I noticed that early in the thread there are names who no longer seem to be about.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim. Yes quite a few missing. A number of them gone in 2018 itself.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's nice Richard, I love this small detail, always takes time, but for the viewer so important.