They didn't expect this - Marines at Peleliu

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi All,

I'm currently contructing this diorama and was unfortunately three quarters way until the sudden migration. So for the benefit of the new friends here I'll start from the beginning. It's also for the oldies who missed the beginning some seven years back. Get the picture...I'm a serial diorama builder and will sporadically revisit my builds with an uncanny ritual and recognizable profile spread across a very long timeline. One profile is that I excruciatingly revive and build individual kits in the hope of placing them at the scene of the crime for forensics to dissect and ponder over.

Here's the full picture...Major General William Rupertus predicted that his 1st Marine Division could take Peleliu in 4 days. However the Japanese having experienced defeats on the earlier island campaigns decided on a different tactic of defence with well-crafted fortifications which offered stiff resistance lasting over two months. It was the Marines most bloodiest and bitterest battle of the war resulting in casualties exceeding all other amphibious operations during the Pacific War.
Images attached for reference only:
602555.jpg 602556.jpg

Now it all started with me wanting an Amtrac and as usual non were available at the time except for the only offering from Blue Tank. Many will know this as a notorious kit but I had to get one. I was dragged deeper into a serial builder with this tormentor of a kit. The following are the results in batches as we're limited to twenty a batch... starting with the turret...I need to sit down for this...

l0012.jpgl0013.jpgl0014.jpgl0015.jpgl0016.jpgl0017.jpgl0002.jpgl0008.jpgl0010.jpgl0022.jpg

Practically nothing on the inside but the gun. Anything not green is added.

l0001.jpg There's more to come...

I'll continue with the next post after this. Any comments and critique is welcomed.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
Good to see it here Richard, astonishing work! I just happened to finish a book by Eugene Sledge called 'With the Old Breed'. He fought at Peleliu and the horrors of war there are beyond imagination. Great book, well recommended (he's one of the characters featuring in the HBO series 'The Pacific' as well. Looking forward to see the rest of the work again here ^^

Cheers

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Morning Richard
Glad to see this. Seven years is a long time.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Wouter and Jimbo...I'm going to call you Jimbo from now on if it's ok with you.:smiling3:

Wouter, thanks, yes I heard about his book and still can't find it...saw "A helmet for my pillow" by another writer also featured in the HBO series.

Jimbo, if it wasn't for the local GB the amtrac wouldn't have been revived. Now it's found a place in the dio. This one is really getting some concentration from me.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
ah, the book by Robert Leckie is on my wishlist. With the Old Breed can be found on Amazon, I can highly recommend it, it's very well written and at the same time it can be very gruesome from time to time, but that's war. I'd say try and get it. It isn't expensive either :smiling3:

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I've shown you the turret so now it's the body...

l0003.jpgl0004.jpgl0007.jpgl0020.jpgl0021.jpg

Basically what you see here is the addition of mud chutes or deflectors just under the rear track, some filler strip for the ex battery lever slot, filling mold seams...you can see that the 30 cal needs replacing, weld seams with putty and I cut out the observation hole on the hatch. It was for a clear bubble but I may replace that with a periscope.

l0011.jpgl0018.jpgl0019.jpgl0032.jpgl0033.jpgl0034.jpgl0035.jpgl0036.jpgl0037.jpgl0038.jpg

The kit tracks were devoid of wading attachments so I fashioned a jig to make them with aluminium strips and super glued them to the individual links. Later I strengthen them with sprinkled dirt and added more superglue. I didn't bother with the bottom as it will be hidden by the sand. By this time Italeri had come out with the Buffalo with the correct tracks but I wasn't going to waste a kit just for the tracks. Fruil did come out with theirs later but I had already gone through hell. The attachments can be enlarged by clicking on them and viewed like a slideshow.
C & C welcomed.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
ah, the book by Robert Leckie is on my wishlist. With the Old Breed can be found on Amazon, I can highly recommend it, it's very well written and at the same time it can be very gruesome from time to time, but that's war. I'd say try and get it. It isn't expensive either :smiling3:

Cheers

Yes Wouter...I'll be looking out for it. We've got Kinokunia Book Store here and may find it there.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Missed out these three images on the body...

l0023.jpgl0024.jpgl0025.jpg

Some attachment handles and the 30 cal barrel replacement from a salvaged kit.

Cheers,
Richard

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
A helmet for my pillow the author is Robert Leckie :smiling3::smiling3:
The Diorama that i saw on MM was getting on the figures... THE stunning converted figures... is good to see the beginning of all...

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Greg,

Good to have you here. The first postings of the beginning were archived seven years back. What you saw was just the continuation started this year. What a long time lapse. The old blog was more interesting as it was a WIP report. Now I'm just summarising it. Hope to get to the current part soon.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard.
Glad you have continued this, really enjoyable watching the way you produce things. of course at the moment any sort of Palm tree is a must. :hungry:
Keep it coming .
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks John...at the moment the palms are swaying with the breeze. Ooops! have to go prepare dinner.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Daniel Horvath

Hi Richard im very pleased that you brought this over I wouldn't want it to miss it ! So thanks For that . will keep an eye out for progress . Regards Danny

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Richard,

Some how I missed the beginning of this blog on MM. Will follow from now on. I've seen some of your dios come together. Just realised why missed this first time round Richard....... seven years ago you started this......WOW.....

Actually changing to this site has kicked me into getting WIP restarted.......:smiling:

Think you and Simon T went to the same scratch building school.......lol

Crack on my friend.

Cheers Mike :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Last edited:

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Nice to be able to read through this from the beginning Richard.
Mick

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fellas, thanks for the nice comments and for looking in.

Daniel, keep you eyes peeled Bro, there's lots more to come as I want to finish it by June.

Mike, if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have started from the beginning. As for Simon, he graduated but I'm still at school.:smiling3:

Mick, brings back memories for me and am enjoying it.

Tony, :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: I feel it. Glad you like it.

Jim, someone said the same thing about it not being covered much which is a shame as a lot of blood was shed for such a rediculous target.

Cheers,
Richard

T

Tony Lee

You bet ya.
My dad was a navy man.He was in the N. Atlantic before the war started but was sent to the Pacific AO and was there for all the major battles. He abanbon the Lexington on a rope from the fan tail.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You bet ya.
My dad was a navy man.He was in the N. Atlantic before the war started but was sent to the Pacific AO and was there for all the major battles. He abanbon the Lexington on a rope from the fan tail.

Wow, that's real life history for you. The Pacific sea battles must have been horrific. I've seen the pictures of the explosion on the Lex...lucky man your Dad.

Cheers,
Richard